Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#6479 - 01/01/05 12:53 AM Solid Bottom Stream Beaver Trapping
woodduck out Offline

Loc: Greenville, Ohio
OK! Guy's I need help, I have a steam that is nothing but rock bottom, I can't get a stabilizer of anytype in to stabalize a #330. What Do I DO confused confused confused confused
Hal this steam is in your neck of the woods, I think it's call Bush Creek or something like in Brown County, any help would be greatly appreciated, these Over Grown Muckyrats have to come out and I can't figure out how to do it frown frown Thanks Jeff aka Woodduck out.

#6480 - 01/01/05 04:33 AM Re: Solid Bottom Stream Beaver Trapping
Oklahoma Trapper Offline

Loc: Ochelata ,ok.
Had the same problem.Went to footholds.What I Did was use Pogos horizontal in the bank to tie the drowning wire to just above the water, with a concrete block for a weight on the other end.Where the bank is nonexistant I tie the wire to a dead tree if available.

#6481 - 01/01/05 05:10 AM Re: Solid Bottom Stream Beaver Trapping
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
Take a 2x4 and lay It flat drive 4 roofing nails In the flat side.Arrange these nails so they will be between the jaws and the trap when set will be tight to the nails. Now you can pile some rocks on the 2x4 to keep the trap stable. You may have to build up under the 2x4 to get the right depth.Sand bags work good to get your depth.

Beav

#6482 - 01/03/05 05:29 AM Re: Solid Bottom Stream Beaver Trapping
throwback Offline

Loc: sullivan county NY
Woodduck,
Had good luck in rocky bottom streams in my area using KB stabilizers. They are a flat "H" shaped affair with a spring. They fit 330's well and give it a large footprint to make it stable. I use them quite often even in soft bottoms to keep trap from sinking into muck. They also work well with 220's in culverts. Only drawback I found is if you place trigger on bottom, it must be moved over to one side as the stabilizer will interfere with it. There is an ad on bottom of page 10 December 2004 trapper and Predator Caller. PM me and I will e-mail you a copy if you don't get magazine. Hope this helps it works for me.

#6483 - 01/05/05 03:23 PM Re: Solid Bottom Stream Beaver Trapping
grouse Offline

Loc: Erei, PA
I am trapping a new location this year and the bottom is very rocky, quite miserable in fact. I have thrown a lot of profanity to the wind just trying to get a stabilizer in the ground. Is it free stone of solid shale bottom? If it is stone, like the one I am in, I quit using the stabilizers (metal frames) and went back to sharpening a post for each spring of the conibear. If you get lucky you might be able to pound them between the rocks. Also in some places I have been able to find a tree branch or log going over the water which I could wire the posts (that are through the springs of the conibear) to and that held them stable enough to work. I had some other ideas that we are working on. One is to use a heavy piece of metal and weld four pieces of small rebar to it. The rebar will be bent, two in each direction, to clip the jaws into. If the metal piece is heavy enough it might work. It is hard to explain but if it works I'll explain it in more detail. Good luck.

#6484 - 01/05/05 04:00 PM Re: Solid Bottom Stream Beaver Trapping
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
RR tie plate or old (rusty) brake rotors will work for what you are thinking about Grouse.

#6485 - 01/06/05 05:45 PM Re: Solid Bottom Stream Beaver Trapping
grouse Offline

Loc: Erei, PA
Ric, Thanks for the reply, I'll try them.

#21489 - 12/13/14 03:07 PM Re: Solid Bottom Stream Beaver Trapping [Re: woodduck out]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.