Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6555 - 06/25/06 07:48 PM Re: Beaver by two feet
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I hear what you're saying, Hal, and I agree with you IF the beaver was stepping THROUGH the jaws. What if it approached from ACROSS the jaws?

Since you are not dealing with tides I would guess that your water fluctuation is not exactly predictable. How deep do you place your trap? Is it still "elbow" deep?

I guess this pic disspells the "spring throwing a foot" fears.

#6556 - 06/26/06 06:57 AM Re: Beaver by two feet
swamprat84 Offline

Loc: SE Ohio
Hal's deffinatley right on the fluctuation of the water. I trap the Ohoi river from time to time and you would really be suprised as to how much that water can rise/fall in a short period of time. :rolleyes:

#6557 - 06/26/06 08:53 AM Re: Beaver by two feet
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Because of the way the trap was set, it is highly unlikely the beaver approached it other than between the jaws.

The Corps of Engineers does predict the river stage about three days in advance, but again their predictions are accurate only within about 12 inches. What I have to go by is whether the river is predicted to rise or fall. On rising water, I set the trap as shallow as possible. On falling water, I set the trap elbow deep. (I should note that Ohio law requires me to keep a trap of this size, "in water".) Either way, it's a crap shoot.

smile -- Hal

#6558 - 06/26/06 09:30 AM Re: Beaver by two feet
swamprat84 Offline

Loc: SE Ohio
That is one of the reasons that I stick to the big swamps and the scioto river more and more every year. Theyre alot easier to deal with. laugh

#25444 - 10/25/17 01:28 PM Re: Beaver by two feet [Re: Hal]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.