Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#6691 - 03/15/06 03:57 PM Quickest attachment method for bottom drowning stick/ sack
snydboshawn Offline

Loc: NE OHIO
What is the fastest, most painless way to attach the bottom drowning stick or bag to a cable? I am trying to devise something that has a tight hold, quick to adjust, and not a mess of wire to deal with. Quick links are ideal, but you still have to be able to raise or lower your wire depending on the bottom you are anchoring to. What does everyone use? I want something solid I can throw together and get the set in, regardless of location, quickly.

#6692 - 03/15/06 04:42 PM Re: Quickest attachment method for bottom drowning stick/ sack
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
"Öyou still have to be able to raise or lower your wire depending on the bottom you are anchoring to."

I'm not following you on that.

confused -- Hal

#6693 - 03/15/06 05:42 PM Re: Quickest attachment method for bottom drowning stick/ sack
snydboshawn Offline

Ok Hal I'll try to clean it up. Lets say at SET A you have 2 feet of mud you push your bottom stick into and at the mudline is where you wire the bottom cable too. Now you pull this set, intact, and go to SET B and reset the same rig. SET B only has 12" before you hit solid clay. My question is, does anyone have a quick way to accomplish adjusting the cable to the new mudline without totally disassembling the rig. Kinda like a drop and go type thing. Maybe its as simple as some strong quick way to tie on a new section of wire that is also easily removed or adjusted. I seem to spend alot of time setting up the bottom to accomodate for different condiyions and would like to speed up the process.

#6694 - 03/15/06 06:34 PM Re: Quickest attachment method for bottom drowning stick/ sack
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
I would have the cable ends set up for a rebar stake and you wouldn't need to wire it at all.

#6695 - 03/15/06 09:02 PM Re: Quickest attachment method for bottom drowning stick/ sack
Hal Online   content

I donít think there is any short cut to what you are trying to achieve, especially from set to set.

I use mostly cable sliders, especially for beaver. I have a swivel at the end of the cable. I use several wraps of 14 gauge wire to fasten it to the anchor. I rarely try to transfer these rigs intact from set to set. Usually I just cut the wire, and start over again at the next set.

Iíve racked my brain for a faster way myself, but I just canít come up with anything that is as secure as some tightly wrapped turns of wire.

smile -- Hal

#6696 - 03/15/06 09:38 PM Re: Quickest attachment method for bottom drowning stick/ sack
snydboshawn Offline

Thanks Hal. Now I don't feel so dumb. I'll spend my off season trying to come up with something and run it by you, if you'd like, when I have something good to share with the class.
Actually, an idea just struck me... I'm thinking along the lines of something that functions similar to a flag holder... or even the globe on a light... hmmmm. I'll keep you posted if this works out.

#6697 - 03/16/06 08:04 AM Re: Quickest attachment method for bottom drowning stick/ sack
Hal Online   content

How is that going to fasten onto a sack?

quest -- Hal

#6698 - 03/16/06 07:50 PM Re: Quickest attachment method for bottom drowning stick/ sack
Dan68 Offline

Loc: Winslow, Indiana
I started using the split rings for attaching my drowner cable to my weight. They work great and are fast.

I put a loop in the end of my cable drowner. On my concrete block or RR tie plates I put a wrap of 9 ga wire which I use to attach the split ring. When you are ready to set just put the loop of the drowning cable on the split ring.

Another thing I use to speed up my drowner sets is to use a cam lock on the drowner cable. The cam lock attaches to the stake by a short piece of cable or chain. When you need to tighten your cable all you have to do is pull on the tag end of the drowner cable until it gets tight and let go. The cam lock will hold it tight in place. It beats the heck out of throwing those heavy weights more than once.

#6699 - 03/17/06 08:54 AM Re: Quickest attachment method for bottom drowning stick/ sack
Hal Online   content

It may not be a good idea using a cam lock like that.

I thought of that when I was trying to develop the adjustable cable drowners I sell butÖ

Using a cam lock in that manner places a lotl of strain on the axel. A strain it was never designed to handle. It is quite possible you could shear that axel and lose your whole rig.

frown -- Hal

#25441 - 10/25/17 01:28 PM Re: Quickest attachment method for bottom drowning stick/ sack [Re: snydboshawn]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.