Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#6715 - 02/27/09 10:05 AM Beaver - 330 Avoidance
Alabamatrapper Offline

Loc: Hueytown,Alabama
We trapped a 1 mile section of a large creek (most would call it a river) and caught 8 beaver. I am almost positive it had not been trapped prior. We had several castor sets where they would push the guide sticks down and go around the trap to the mound. I read in the archives that if they see another beaver in a trap they would do this. Do they keep a trap shy memory from season to season? When this happens is the only alternative to go to footholds?

#6716 - 02/27/09 11:33 AM Re: Beaver - 330 Avoidance
dodgetrapper Offline

Loc: Virginia
Beaver will stay trap shy for a long long time is my experience, but snares or footholds either will work. Or try and find a canal that their using and make a diving set in a pinch point. Works sometimes.

#6717 - 02/27/09 11:56 AM Re: Beaver - 330 Avoidance
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Welcome to the world of educated beaver. There are all sorts of possibilities. Yes, beaver can remember from one year to the next. Trap shy beaver may have moved in from somewhere else. Or, you may just have smart beaver from the get-go. Truth is, a 330 that is not completely submerged may shy away a beaver that has never seen a trap before -- that's probably the worst set up you can have.

Footholds or snares would be a good idea.

Hal

#6718 - 02/27/09 06:26 PM Re: Beaver - 330 Avoidance
jackson Offline

Loc: missouri
I've a favorite crossover I set for beaver-otter. Beginning of season I'll usually catch two animals in two days same crossover. But then, the other beavers seem to get wary and will not come close; so, I've learned to pull the 330, straighten everything up, slick up the crossover a little and wait. Usually after the next weathermaker i'll notice fresh sign then I'll set crossover again and...bam! Got another one. I let them dictate when to set, works for me! One other thing...once they get wise, beaver don't like two legged activity tramping around on the banks either.

#6719 - 02/27/09 08:21 PM Re: Beaver - 330 Avoidance
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I've learned to hide the actual trap, as well. "Square shy" is not a problem if they don't see a square. That being said, it doesn't always work flawlessly.

I've really grown to appreciate snares this year. They're just another vine. Just besure that if you only have one or two beaver left that you make the loops closer to the larger end of the spectrum. The young ones normally aren't to bright and you take them out pretty quick. You probably have Ma or Pa or both left, and they can be a decent size.

And sometimes it just takes paitence. It took me 3 weeks to get one this year, and then it was almost by accident.

#6720 - 03/14/09 06:06 PM Re: Beaver - 330 Avoidance
tommypaul Offline

Loc: Tennessee
When I have a few snapped 330's I usually switch to snares. However, it has been often enough otter the trap has simply missed. Re-setting the 330's after a few weeks has been productive for beaver, especially after a high water event or at leat a good rain.
tp

#6721 - 03/14/09 11:36 PM Re: Beaver - 330 Avoidance
dnew Offline

Loc: west al
Dive them in front of a castor mound if they are shy. Got to do this where the turtles don't run. Only way to catch shy beaver in a 330 is on a dive set.

#27020 - 01/07/20 10:59 AM Re: Beaver - 330 Avoidance [Re: Alabamatrapper]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.