Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#6828 - 02/26/06 07:29 PM Otters avoiding traps
WI_Archer Offline

Loc: WI
Has anyone else noticed otter avoiding sets (in snow especially) that you leave tracks at the set? I am just wondering because in the past I have had this problem so I have started entering downstream and walking up to the set and setting and returning to wear I entered. Sometimes the otter seem to see this and get out on my tracks or just a little up from them and jump around a perfectly blended, NATURAL looking set.

#6829 - 02/27/06 08:16 PM Re: Otters avoiding traps
snydboshawn Offline

Loc: NE OHIO
I have a stinking suspicion Otter are one of the most trap savy animals out there....

#6830 - 02/27/06 08:46 PM Re: Otters avoiding traps
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
What kind of set are you using?

RO smile

#6831 - 02/27/06 08:50 PM Re: Otters avoiding traps
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
" I have a stinking suspicion Otter are one of the most trap savy animals out there...."

smile smile Sorry Snyd, in most instnaces, otter are dumb as a bunch of muskrats.

smile -- Hal

#6832 - 02/27/06 09:10 PM Re: Otters avoiding traps
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
Hal is right. The fact that otters can be tricky to get in a trap has a lot more to do with weather and environment than being trap shy. A mink is much more suspicious than an otter. In my experience otter are like fisher, if you can direct them to the trap them you've got them.

#6833 - 02/27/06 11:07 PM Re: Otters avoiding traps
WI_Archer Offline

Loc: WI
I have been using mainly blind sets at pinch points. It just seems like when I get way back in some of these swamps that when the otter see disturbance they are either too curious and follow my tracks or seem to shy away. End result is the same, EMPTY traps. Been a tough year to fill in otter tag up here. Lots of tracks but no great spots for sets. Lots of spots where they are just working open water in front of a culvert, ice out to the end of the culvert and a hole there, tried on bodygrip in the culvert under the ice, but nothing. I know patience is key, but man had sets out since December 20 and still no connections. We didn't have snow all the way through January though, so I am tweaking sets as I see new otter sign with each snow.

#6834 - 02/28/06 11:07 PM Re: Otters avoiding traps
snydboshawn Offline

Loc: NE OHIO
Hal, do you believe Otter can become trap shy? I had quite a few misses on them this year and did all the standard change ups, but it seemed to me they intentionally avoided them. That is where the stinking "suspicion" comes from, not much experience with them as this is our first year.

#6835 - 03/05/06 12:01 AM Re: Otters avoiding traps
Casey Offline

Loc: Powhatan,Ar
I believe they become location shy after they see one of their own kind thrashing around in a trap. That is as far as my experience goes, if you want to learn something, listen to Hal on this one.

#6836 - 03/05/06 01:04 PM Re: Otters avoiding traps
b/j Offline

Loc: canada ontario
Some "pinch Points " are just not travelways even if everything looks like they should be !! I found this to be true at a beaverdam that dropped off about 10 ft. into a lake.The water way coming off the dam was fast and rocky and had several beautiful pinch points that were just what I was looking for !! Only problem was that the otter wernt using the water way on this location but as seen in the snow were taking a less rugged way over land.It would appear that the otter were avoiding my traps but the thing was that I didn't have any traps in this location ,it simply wasnt a part of their travel way.........maybe their could be something in this for you in your situation !!..........maybe not .....b/j

#25365 - 10/17/17 12:22 PM Re: Otters avoiding traps [Re: WI_Archer]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.