Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6847 - 02/24/07 05:25 PM Re: beaver den locating
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
My most vivid memory of locating a bank den was about 5 years ago. I was walking a bank, and stepped into one, the ground gave way, and I wound up waist deep in the hole.
Adios,
45/70,

#6848 - 02/24/07 10:26 PM Re: beaver den locating
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Yep, I've located a couple of dens that way myself.

smile smile -- Hal

#6849 - 02/26/07 08:42 PM Re: beaver den locating
catchin cats Offline

Loc: Missouri
its funny that you all say that, i found one this way just this past weekend, can you explain the crossover set a bit better, is this a foothold on the dam to where beaver cross it or is it something else?

#6850 - 02/26/07 08:57 PM Re: beaver den locating
Hal Online   content

Where it is legal, you can set a foothold on the breast of the dam, and slide it off into the pool to drown the beaver. The other way to set this up is to go below the dam in the crossover trail and set a bodygrip.

smile -- Hal

#6851 - 02/26/07 09:06 PM Re: beaver den locating
Hal Online   content

Here's a little hint about bank dens. Often the roofs cave in and you will see where the beaver patch them with sticks. Below is one that has just started to cave, and the beaver have put a few stick in the hole.

However, the entrance to this particular den is out yonder under about four or five feet of water.

smile -- Hal

#6852 - 02/27/07 04:13 PM Re: beaver den locating
catchin cats Offline

Loc: Missouri
thanks hal i saw one of these just last night on the creek, i set two 330's in crossovers on two dams and i set up on what i presume is a den. I found one of these fallouts and they had tried to patch it up, however there were two holes on into the caved in den, and another about 15 feet down the bank, i set up on the one down the bank presuming they made a new den, what would you say? Thanks for the pictures as well, very very helpful.

#6853 - 02/27/07 06:00 PM Re: beaver den locating
Far north mn trapper Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Be care ful about setting bank den entrances if you have otters in the area. they will use these dens too.

#6854 - 03/12/07 04:49 AM Re: beaver den locating
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
Otters use all beaver locations in my experience. Bank dens are usually near castor mounds along creek or shore line. Trap cross overs, c-mound sets, fresh cut trees and tops and pullouts and feeding areas. Although beavs can be trapped all year here, the reg's on coni's on land and large traps still apply. Snares and drowner slides w/large foothold, (only have to be "submereged") work if water at above sets is shallow but can be slid into the deep holes. Sounds like your learning, remeber to secure your traps very well. Beaver eaters can easily break lite wire and some beavs will spin and break wire then wash away. Losing bridger 330 coni's will cut into bottom line quickly.

#26997 - 01/07/20 04:50 PM Re: beaver den locating [Re: catchin cats]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.