Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6906 - 04/17/06 04:19 PM Dive Sticks for Beaver
Carp Offline

Loc: Eastern U.P. MI
I've been setting my 330's competely submerged in beaver channels/creeks with dive sticks at the surface. My 330's are resting on bottom or 2-3" off. The water depth has been 1.5'-2.5'. With this setup, there is roughly 4" to 12"+ between the bottom of the dive stick and top of the 330. Should a second dive stick be submerged to block this area? I've heard from other trappers that beavers always swim on the bottom when they dive. Is this true?

#6907 - 04/17/06 04:36 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
That depends. If the beaver is entering/leaving its' hut it is on the bottom. If the beaver is swimming up a channel, patroling, I'm not sure it goes on the bottom to go under a stick.

Myself, I don't use a divestick in channels. I place my BG so that the top jaw is 3-4 inches from the top of the water. When beaver are having a look around they are on top of the water. Why make them dive? They'll go through the trap.

#6908 - 04/17/06 05:19 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
Mr. Otter Offline

Loc: South Carolina
The reason you have a beaver channel Is because the beaver Is swiming right on the bottom.It's how they find their way around under water.So if this Is the situation I don't feel you need a dive pole.
Now If your trap Is just barely under water or for that matter just barely out of the water I would use a dive pole. Don't skimp on this dive pole ,make It so the beaver doesn't have the option to swim over it.
If your trap is half or more out of the water I don't feel you need a dive pole.

Otter

#6909 - 04/17/06 05:27 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Put a dive pole over trap and another one each way of this one to get the beaver under water before it reaches the one directly over the trap.

#6910 - 04/18/06 12:02 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
Riverliner Offline

Loc: New Brunswick
Quote:
With this setup, there is roughly 4" to 12"+ between the bottom of the dive stick and top of the 330. Should a second dive stick be submerged to block this area?
Simply....yes?Why take chances with missed and fired traps?I like to fence it down with dive-stix every 4-6" so that the beaver MUST go through the trap if he wants to use the channel.It only takes an extra couple minutes to wire an extra dive stick or two across and you can leave the set with confidence.The only gap I leave big enough for the beaver to get through is where the trap is. Don't want 'em going over,under,or around,cause Murphy says they will sooner or later.

#6911 - 04/18/06 03:20 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm one of those trappers who contends that a beaver almost always dives to the bottom to get under a dive pole. However, otter don't, and I am almost always trapping beaver and otter concurrently. In this case, if I have less than 10 inches between the bottom of the dive pole, and the top of the trap, I'll call it good. If there is more room than that I add a second dive pole, or a set of crossed sticks to fill in the gap, or cover the trap with a piece of brush instead of a pole.

Musher: If you set your traps in a channel, with the jaws 3 inches out of the water, how much space between the bottom of the trap and the bottom of the channel is acceptable to you? (P.S. That set wouldn't be legal is some states where #330s must be completely submerged.)

smile -- Hal

#6912 - 04/18/06 05:06 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
If the channel is deep enough to worry about more dive sticks, would stacking two 330s be an option? Frank. confused

#6913 - 04/18/06 05:20 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
Hal Offline

I think that would be wasting a trap. If a beaver got in one trap it would likely fire the other one. Sticks are cheaper than traps so I'd rather add a couple extra dive sticks.

(If a channel really warranted two traps, I'd set a second trap a few yards away.)

smile -- Hal

#6914 - 04/18/06 07:18 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
musher Online   content

Hal: I set traps like that in the beaver's patrol area. Usually the trap goes between humps of grass or between a flooded bush and the bank. The water isn't usually very deep. It's wadeable if the bottom is firm enough.

Sometimes, there's more than enough water for a beaver to pass under. I think the beaver just sees the trap as brush and swims through it. Otter and muskrats do also.

#6915 - 04/19/06 08:26 AM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
Hal Offline

How do you tell if the beaver are swimming under your traps?

smile -- Hal

#6916 - 04/19/06 05:23 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
musher Online   content

I can't! I only know when I have a catch!

I don't empty areas out. I catch a couple per location and move on. If I have a nuisance beaver I use a variety of methods and clean house.

How do you know that the beaver doesn't pull a u-turn at your dive stick? smile

#6917 - 04/19/06 05:58 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
Hal Offline

Touché!

smile smile -- Hal

#6918 - 04/19/06 07:19 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
musher Online   content

Beaver never seem to go "over" many things besides their dam. 'Rats and otter do go over things.

Do you think that otters often go over dive sticks? If they do, is the trap sprung very often?

In other words, how often do we think a muskrat set off our 330 and didn't get caught when it went "through" the trap when in reality it was an otter that went over the dive stick that sprung the BG? (I don't think a 'rat going over a dive stick will set off many 330's.)

#6919 - 04/19/06 08:04 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
conibear Kid Offline

Loc: Ontario
I like to fence all my traps in really tight and only leave one option for them to go threw. As for the beaver swimming on the bottom, when snaring this winter some beaver were caught on the top snares and some on the bottom snares. these were set on poles in runways.

#6920 - 04/19/06 09:22 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
Mr. Otter Offline

The trick Is to use a substancial sized dive pole not some small stick.
I place my dive pole right on top of the trap location.As the beaver or otter approaches the dive pole It will dive just before It reaches the pole so I really see no need to lay two poles one before and one after the trap location. In deep water lets say 3' or more I don't bother with any type of dive pole.I might miss a few this way but I will get them at the dam or the den It's just a matter of time.

Otter

#6921 - 04/20/06 06:19 AM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Maybe you should try more than one dive stick, I have used "substantial" sized dive sticks, and small ones. I picture a beaver waiting to dive till it is almost to the dive stick, is it going to go straight to the bottom, or just under that obstacle. I get them down on the bottom before the dive pole over trap. Besides, if you put one dive pole, why not two or three? Have you ever came to a spot where there was already these obstacles in the way? They are used to diving here and just a matter to slip a trap or two in place. Give them one dive pole over the trap and they may just remove it. Wire it in place, and they still try to remove it the whole time stopped and messing around the top of your submerged trap just asking for a sprung trap. As far as missing a few beaver, I don't settle for that or wait to catch them at the dam or den. These places are ready to catch the others before they have to much time to figure somethings not right. I never set at the den untill a last option, this will send off an alarm you don't want.

#6922 - 04/20/06 08:09 AM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
Mr. Otter Offline

Well It seems like we all have our opinions on how to set up dive sticks and beaver channels. Is one way better then the other? probably not It's just what one person gets comfortable with and If It works for them so be It.
My advise to anyone reading these posts is to try different setups and see what works for you In your situation.

You must also look at what your trying to accomplish,are you trying to wipe out the beaver population to the last one or just taking the cream and moving on.

Otter

#6923 - 04/20/06 11:51 AM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
Cannon Ball Offline

Loc: Washington NC
I had one particular set this past year where I used a dive stick which was about the same size in diameter as a small coffee can ( 3 inches ). This small log was somewhat rotten, and therefore the wood on the outside was very soft. This set was in a natural dam where many logs and lilmbs had just washed together, there was a nice natural gap in the stream and I simply dropped in a 330 and placed this dive stick over the trap. The trap was compleetly submnerged, BUT, my dive stick was not in the water - it was held up by other debris and as a result the bottom of the dive stick was just about 1 inch above the water and therefore only 2 inches or so over the top of the trap.

On about the second check I noticed claw marks on the dive stick and loose wood whcih was pulled out where the claws dug into the wood. From reading the sign I am certian that it was an otter that crawled over the dive stick. I have not forgotten this. What better learning tool can you have than to miss your a traget animal.

Ever since that day this past Dec I have made a point of using smaller diameter dive sticks - sticks that will in no way support the wieght of an otter.

#6924 - 04/22/06 01:41 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver
trapper554 Offline

Loc: TN
hal's tape will help you catch this kind of beaver because it shows the same set two logs about 4 feet apart and you will have your beaver

#25442 - 10/25/17 01:28 PM Re: Dive Sticks for Beaver [Re: Carp]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.