Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#7013 - 09/28/08 11:19 AM Re: 110 bodygrip muskrat sets
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
I don't think the muskrats left because you walked around, bet somebody beat you to them. I have had duck blinds where the rats built huts right along them, even piling the works right in front of the door. I would shovel this out every time we would go there ( always piled back up the next day ) you could hear them under the blind while hunting. All this time walking around the blind and huts. These never left. I would never lay a bodygrip flat on the ground, this was not the way they where meant to be used. Dale

#7014 - 09/28/08 03:01 PM Re: 110 bodygrip muskrat sets
haf2sell Offline

Loc: SW Michigan
Darrell-

Have used my hands, and legs/feet for locating runs. Have also used a whippy sapling (no branches) to "sweep" for runs in deeper/murky water. Put the tip end in the water, holding at an angle, apply a little pressure, and when it comes from shallower water to the deeper run, you will feel the tension release. Then its a simple matter of "defining" the run to know where to set. Coupled with a long stake and wedge, or Lefler style stablizer, has worked well on the deep runs for me.

Early morning scouting may also reveal the runs from the "mud path" in the run from their activity.

Depending on your state regs. (disturbing a den), you might also use a section of 1/4" rod to probe vertically around a hut. You will feel the difference in the bottom where the runs are~ the solid mass of grasses etc. feels different than mass then water (entrance). Then it's just a matter of locating the main run as it enters open water.

Babybull-

Another option for your 110's may be the "Elbow Set". It's geared more towards mink (Rich Faler, or Jim Spencer has it in his mink book, and had caught 'rats with it). I think if you made the top hole look like a muskrat dive hole (and the set near/on bank sign) you will pick up some extra 'rats (and mink especially if baited with a muskrat leg). Labor intensive, so I only have used a few (setting for mink/coon). Both are good books IMHO (and if you want more details on the set).

Another option is to set multiple 110's in the runs/trails, spaced a few feet apart. Learned that trick from riding with another trapper. That day he was 4 for 5 at one stop in about a 15' stretch. Most areas I trap are only good for 2-3 sets per run, but it has increased catch/stop (location) ratio, and reduced time in a particular area. It's a water version of gang setting~ simple and effective!

Regards,

P.S.- I agree with Dale F on the competition. Lots of sign doesn't always mean lots of 'rats... just that they have been active.

#7015 - 09/29/08 01:48 AM Re: 110 bodygrip muskrat sets
DARRELL Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I had half a mind to use my underwater camera to find the den opening. That may be too time consuming so the whippy stick sounds like its worth a try. Thank you. I could not grasp what you were trying to say about the elbow set. Were you talking about through the ice?

#7016 - 09/29/08 04:42 PM Re: 110 bodygrip muskrat sets
haf2sell Offline

Loc: SW Michigan
Darrell-

The Elbow Set is nothing more than a Pocket Set with a vertical hole at the back (bank) side.

Hope this helps.

#7017 - 10/09/08 06:39 PM Re: 110 bodygrip muskrat sets
IMB guide Offline

Loc: hobart,indiana
i have a rather large marsh next to my house and it sounds a lot like your situation. i somtimes have a hard time finding decent sets for my 110's as well. a few years back i started using baited 110's about a foot or two from the bank. and all but the top of my stakes sticking out the water. carrots seem to be good around here and a little lure on top of the stake. when it freezes all i have to do is not lure the set. works really good for me. good luck!!

#27012 - 01/07/20 04:55 PM Re: 110 bodygrip muskrat sets [Re: babybull]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.