Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7126 - 01/02/10 09:40 PM Re: Mink Locations
se alaska Offline

Loc: se ak
i shure like the hose idea ,i trap or should i say target martin and have bin getting a lot of mink in my pole sets lately,strange

#7127 - 01/05/10 02:11 AM Re: Mink Locations
adirondack trapper Offline

Loc: up state new york
nice looking sets thanx for sharing with us.

#7128 - 01/08/10 02:51 AM Re: Mink Locations
timberwolf Offline

Loc: ohio
excellent sets skipper! its no wonder they're connecting, good visual also,a picture is worth a thousand words!

#7129 - 01/08/10 03:59 AM Re: Mink Locations
timberwolf Offline

Skipper,just curious,on your smaller log crossing i see no top blocking as in your bigger snow covered log. The reason i'm asking is i had a similar incident as you refered to about the mink jumping over the trap. My log was similar in size to your small log but snow covered. I saw tracks that hopped right over my 110, I added a finger sized stick above the trap and a nice buck mink rode home with me four days later. Do you top block your small log or maybe you had'nt before you took your photo? Like i said just curious.

#7130 - 01/08/10 11:10 AM Re: Mink Locations
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
ont that log I originaly had a small twig. after a I made the first catch. I didn't replace it . (though I should have) I caught two more in short order, I don't know if it was sent that slowed the others down or what but it worked. after the three catches it went dead. traps above and below this also went dead. I caught 6 mink in this section with 8 traps in a 50 yard streach of stream this small log took three. well worth my 20 minutes invested last summer.

#7131 - 01/08/10 01:38 PM Re: Mink Locations
timberwolf Offline

Thanks for the reply Skipper, i was about to edit my post last night when i started thinking,he caught 3 mink there, if it aint broke why fix it,right!? A few years back i had set a crossing log,top blocked it,and tracks in the snow revealed a complete refusal,twice within a week. I realize this is not totally uncommon,but just wondering if you run into that problem much. I understand w/o snow or muddy tracks its impossible to tell, just wondering? Also i didnt get the picture of your mink magnet.

#7132 - 01/08/10 02:29 PM Re: Mink Locations
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
I found out that if you delete a picture from photo bucket it also goes off the site. I will put it back on.

That is why Charlie Dobbins called snow one of the Great Teachers.That log also had ice on it a lot of the time (my fault) I put it there when the water was low. By our state law the bodygrippers can't be above the high water mark,and this being a spring fed creek ,The water level doesn't vary much.

#7133 - 01/08/10 03:06 PM Re: Mink Locations
timberwolf Offline

Thanks again Skipper for letting me pick your brain. And again great looking sets,post&pics! I'd normally sign off by saying good luck with the rest of your season, but knowledge & good practices beat luck any day of week!

#7134 - 01/09/10 03:30 AM Re: Mink Locations
timberwolf Offline

got to thinking again Skipper [ i seem to do that more often as i grow older] about your small log set maybe the ice on the log was a good thing,might've been thats what detered the mink from jumpin the trap along w/scent. just a thought. even w/those sharp little claws i'm sure they slip around a little bit. might be something to experiment with. also i just got to see your mink magnet photo, man, what a sweet spot! looks like it should have a sign over it saying "EATS"!!

#7135 - 02/08/10 05:58 PM Re: Mink Locations
brian lane Offline

Loc: Boone co KY
Skipper,
Thanks for the great pics. I was wondering what the habitat is like in your area as catching 6 mink in one stretch of creek is telling me not only are you a very proficient trapper but that the habitat can produce mink in numbers. Do you have alot of agriculture. Must have a great small mammal population. Thanks again for the pics and info.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.