Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7138 - 02/06/09 05:30 PM otters - how long to leave a set?
flandrax Offline

Loc: north carolina
I have had some traps set for otters for a couple of days now and i have not seen any sign since i set the traps. I originally set for beavers and caught a couple beavers. I saw some sign that looked like otter and ever since then i have not seen anything. My question is do otters range a long way??? Am i just "shooting in the dark"????

#7139 - 02/06/09 06:33 PM Re: otters - how long to leave a set?
jackson Offline

Loc: missouri
I catch otters in beaver sets particularly in channel entrances to slides and crossings. Otter do range out even away from water; most likely the otter will return if there is a food source or breeding time. I've had my sets out up to two weeks, finally scored.

#7140 - 02/06/09 07:11 PM Re: otters - how long to leave a set?
flandrax Offline

I hope that it does. where i'm trapping it was supposed to be a carp pond.

#7141 - 02/06/09 07:56 PM Re: otters - how long to leave a set?
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
Otter traps- Leave set for as long as your in the area. A otter may take 2 weeks to make his loop.He'll be back.
But will you be there when he does ? Thats the problem we all have when otter trap'n.

#7142 - 02/06/09 08:29 PM Re: otters - how long to leave a set?
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Are those beaver traps blind sets or baited sets? If they're in a run on a crossover, leave'em there as long as care to check'em. Sooner or later you'll connect. If they're baited (e.g. peeled sticks, castor mounds, etc...) pull them up and put them in the runs or on the crossover(s). I haven't even tried to catch otter this year and have been running almost a 50/50 ratio of otter to beaver. But all my sets are blind sets. Hope this helps.

#7143 - 02/08/09 07:55 PM Re: otters - how long to leave a set?
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
I leave my otter sets out for 21 days (3 weeks).
45/70,

#7144 - 02/09/09 08:14 PM Re: otters - how long to leave a set?
flandrax Offline

is there anything that i could do to increase my chances of catching this otter(s)?? like bait or scent??

#7145 - 02/09/09 09:08 PM Re: otters - how long to leave a set?
jackson Offline

Loc: missouri
I meant to suggest to make a slide, slick it up real good, put some fish scales up and down, a fish head or two scattered about, otter are curious and want company. Or, you could make a pocket set, bait with egg or piece of carp. Large hole,10"dia. & dig back 2 or 3 feet with water at entrance angling upward. plenty of eye appeal.

#7146 - 02/09/09 11:04 PM Re: otters - how long to leave a set?
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
If you set runs, slides, and crossovers, with emphasis on the runs and crossovers, you'll catch just about any otter that comes through there. Remember, they have a large territory, similar to a bobcat or coyote. It may take them 10-14 days or maybe more to make their loop.

I know of people that use rubber crawdads and things of that nature to help grab their attention, but nothing beats putting a trap where they're gonna be traveling to start out with.

The only thing that I can think of that will really improve your odds is to find a toilet and set that up. But like I said, its hard to beat a 330 in a run.

#7147 - 02/12/09 01:42 PM Re: otters - how long to leave a set?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I have a different opinion on otter travel than most folks do. I don't think it takes a otter two or three weeks to complete a circuit. I think it is much less than that. I think otter do not take the same path through an area on subsequent visits. I don't think they are as predictable as many other animals.

If you have say one otter set, it indeed might take two or three weeks to connect. But that doesn't mean that the otter has not been back through the area. It may have gone by a different route several times until it finally took the path your trap was on.

This is why I believe in gang setting heavily for otter. It is not unusual for me to have three or four sets at one general location. Usually, one set will be the main producer, but I catch a lot of otter in secondary trails and paths. But, I'll leave these traps set two weeks or more until I'm sure I've picked up most of the otter.

I don't find lure and or bait to be of much value. All my sets are blind sets.

Hal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.