Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7195 - 03/11/07 09:30 PM trappers boat
jackson Offline

Loc: missouri
I thought I could find this subject in the search but no-go! Anyway, I'm considering new territory this next season that will require a light craft. I'll be porting overland some,and, carrying or pulling up and down steep slopes. I thought of the poke boat or small 10'jonboat. Anyone with experience or suggestions?

#7196 - 03/12/07 12:38 AM Re: trappers boat
Jonathan64 Offline
Member+

Loc: Northwestern New York
You may want to consider an aluminum canoe, or a flat bottomed duck skiff.

#7197 - 03/12/07 03:32 AM Re: trappers boat
GregPaulman Offline

Loc: Vermont
I have been looking for the same answers. I have an alluminun conoe and a fiberglass one 17' and 14'. And have been looking for a portable option.

I did a google search for portable canoes and boats and found several options but don't know of anyone who has experience with a particular one.

The cheapest was a 10' portable conoe on Ebay for under $300. SOme of the nicest and more durable looking were over a $1,000.

Search both and see what you find and share your feedback.

Thanks

#7198 - 03/12/07 09:56 AM Re: trappers boat
jackson Offline

Actually, I've had experience with the otter/stealth 1200 duck boat in hunting. It has great stability, compartments for gear, but I did have difficulty dragging through mud and gravel, all in all a good boat. I would not care to hump it around trapping where I go. Then, I checked out the Poke boats, they have a new square stern model, litewieght, and they say they have great stability and shallow draft. I like a boat I can stand up in to look for sign and such. I use a pole to push along and manuever, hope someone here has had experience with the Poke?

#7199 - 03/12/07 12:21 PM Re: trappers boat
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
The first thing you'll need to decide is how much weight are you going to be hauling. Persons & gear, all new boats/canoes will have a plate listing the Max. Capacity according to USCG guidelines. I've trapped some from my 10' alum flat-bottom. It's a narrow boat, around 3' wide in the middle, in calm water it will handle 2 adults, but it rides pretty deep, around 8". Not sure what you guys are calling "portable"? We used to sell Coleman canoes and Crawdads, I can pick up a 17' canoe and load it onto my truck rack alone. I've paddled my 15' canoe a good bit, I bought it in 1985 (just before the flood) it's been well abused and still doesn't leak. Old Town makes a better canoe, they are made of a plastic/foam, really comfortable to ride. Coleman's are plastic. In our rock bottom streams an aluminum canoe won't take the abuse, compared to a plastic one. I can stand up and fish from my 15' canoe, it's more stable than the 10' alum flat bottom. smile

Forgot, we have a local outfitter that rents canoes, each fall he'll sell off 25 or so canoes. He has mostly Old Town canoes now, he sells them for $100-150 used. smile

#7200 - 03/12/07 03:50 PM Re: trappers boat
catchin cats Offline

Loc: Missouri
jackson, i have been a avid duck hunter for some time and have found a couple of companies that have really lightweight boats. One thing to keep in mind length of your boat will affect how easily you can portage in and out of the water. We have used both four rivers layout boats, and momarsh layout boats. I have built one for about 350 dollars and really enjoy using it. You can get a boat as short as 9 feet long plenty of room for gear and weight rating with a keel for a trolling motor. We have very muddy weedy oxbow lakes around here we hunt in and when you have to pack decoys gun shells etc across about 300 yards of muck weight comes into play. Some of these boats can be as light as 60-70 pounds.

#7201 - 03/13/07 01:35 PM Re: trappers boat
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
I have a grumman 15' aluminum light weight. Weighs in at 70lb. I can load in 350lbs plus myself at 185lb. This canue has a wide bottom.
She sits well in the water and is verry stable.
A lot of times I wade and tow the craft behind me. But if I have to hang a leg over the side I can with out being too afraid of tipping over.
Keep the weight well dispersed which will keep the craft stable. Empty with just myself it is realy tippy.
Good Luck
Littleguns

#7202 - 03/13/07 08:21 PM Re: trappers boat
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Found this in the Water Trapping Archives.

http://forum.sullivansline.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000142#000001

RO smile

#7203 - 03/14/07 02:02 AM Re: trappers boat
jackson Offline

Thanks guys...versatility seems the key and I believe I have lots of options. My 'new ' territory has at least one long drainage ditch, average 40' wide, probably 30 to 40 miles long. Beaver dams all up and down the stream and willows hanging down here and there, some fallen timbers across the channel also.. Beaver and otter the main targets. No messin' around with others. The plan..initially I will float a 10 or 12 ft.'supplies' jon boat, making sets along for about 4 miles, or bridge to bridge. I may have to cut my way down stream the first trip. Our supply boat will be in-port[hidden] at the end of each segment of the trap line. The fast boat, possibly a coleman canoe or lite duck boat for running the line, will then take-over the chores. Long time off, but would be ideal to get a good water to float, but dry fall could be really rough!

#7204 - 03/15/07 02:20 AM Re: trappers boat
Poke Boater Offline

Loc: Georgia
I have a Poke Boat and trust me, you don't want to trap out of it. It is light, but is difficult to get in or out of. A much better choice would be a canoe. I have a 12' Pack canoe and a 14' Osprey canoe, both by Old Town that I use for trapping. If it's just me, I'll use the Pack. It's actually lighter than the Poke Boat at a little over 30 lbs. If I have someone else, then I'll use the Osprey. I think it weighs about 60 lbs. I also have a canoe dolly made of aluminum that is helpful, but most of the time I just drag it with the 4wheeler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.