Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7273 - 03/15/05 05:49 PM Trapping Otters and Not Beavers
Wm Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, Virginia
I trap a series of beaver ponds but don't want to take the beavers. Does anyone know of any sets that will only catch otters? Any ideas?

One idea I dreamed up was to try a 280 or 330 with a soft plastic fish attached to the trigger and placed in the middle of the creek, with no guide sticks. Would I be wasting my time?

Wm

#7274 - 03/15/05 07:26 PM Re: Trapping Otters and Not Beavers
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
Don't trap the obvious beaver travel sign. Locate the otter travel-ways, and set them.
Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#7275 - 03/15/05 08:14 PM Re: Trapping Otters and Not Beavers
BLACKETTLE Offline

Loc: eastern N.C.
iHOPE TO POST PIC,S SOON THAT OTTER CANT RESIST.B.K.

#7276 - 03/15/05 11:07 PM Re: Trapping Otters and Not Beavers
DaGriz Offline

Look for the area the otter use as a bathroom!

#7277 - 03/28/05 05:03 AM Re: Trapping Otters and Not Beavers
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
WM I haven't tried the plastic fish trick yet but know of others who have had some luck with it. The 330/280 is set length wise with the current so the fish's head is pointing up stream. This set can be guided a bit and still have less chance of catching beaver because your guiding towards the springs instead of the trigger. An otter will be interested in the fish and can only get to it by going cross current. Hope I described this ok, a picture would be better.

Good luck...
Clint

#7278 - 03/29/05 05:23 PM Re: Trapping Otters and Not Beavers
Wm Offline

Thanks to all for the responses!

If memory serves me, Charles Dobbins suggested baiting otter sets with otter scat from a different otter territory. The idea being that like castor and beavers, otters will check out this set because they think another otter has invaded their territory.

Has anyone tried this and if so, how did it work?

I suppose a commercial lure could also accomplish the same thing?

Wm

#7279 - 03/29/05 05:55 PM Re: Trapping Otters and Not Beavers
Mallard Offline

Loc: Traverse City,Mi,USA
Any feeder streams to these beaver ponds? (like 45/70 was suggesting) If so then how far away from the ponds can you get and feel comfortable the beaver are behind you? I have great confidence in pinch down sets. Kind of like this:

Anything baited above water will have the coons plugging them up this time of the year it would seem.

#7280 - 03/30/05 02:39 PM Re: Trapping Otters and Not Beavers
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
I have been told and I have tried the(with no luck)5-gallon bucket set.
Take A 5 gallon plastic bucket and cut two slots In the edge so you can place a 220 body grip In the slots. Place fish for bait In the bucket.I used a live 2lb cat fish and wired It to the bottom of the bucket.No luck.Then with some type of weight In the bucket to hold It down and upright,I used a railroad tie plate. You then submearge the whole thing where you think a otter may be traveling. And make sure you tie the trap off to something In case you catch something.
The white bucket Is supose to attract the otter with eye appeal and then the bait should get it to dive through the 220.
I tried this In a catfish pond where there were lots of otter( I caught 4) none In the bucket.
This set will be pretty much beaver proof.
The catfish was released Into the frying pan.
I will say I only used It once so It never got a real chance,so It could work.Try It and let us know.

Beav

#7281 - 03/30/05 03:30 PM Re: Trapping Otters and Not Beavers
carajou Offline

Loc: adirondack mtns. ny
i have used the bucket set but put it on it's side like i do for fishers but make sure it is under water all the way. instead of real fish i made cutouts on my band saw to fit the bottom of the bucket they seem to work as well as real fish the otters go for them by sight so i paint them dark colors to contrast against the bottom of the bucket and they do (OK) not as good as common sets you also get some mink as well mike.

#7282 - 03/31/05 06:23 PM Re: Trapping Otters and Not Beavers
Wm Offline

RiverOtter:

Thanks for the email about trapping otters on slides. Great idea and one I had not thought of. This land is pretty flat so I don't expect to find a lot of slides but should be able to find trails/pullouts between the creeks and toilets.

I can't set 280s on land. Do you think 220s would do the trick or should I set 280s in water at the stream/trail junction?

I missed an otter in a 220 slide set once (the 220 on land was sprung and an otter was in my instream 330 just downstream) and ever since, I've been a little reluctant to set another 220 on land for otter.

I would appreciate any more suggestions,

Wm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.