Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7286 - 12/15/06 09:33 PM water trappers: how do you protect your hands
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
Just woundering whats the best thing some of you have come up with to keep your hands from cracking. other than gloves.

#7287 - 12/15/06 10:30 PM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
Paul Fox Offline

Loc: Deckerville mi.
Aveeno lotion.Surgical glue works good if you can get your hands on it.Check with your local veterinarian clinic.You put this glue in the cracks of your hand.

#7288 - 12/15/06 11:03 PM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
cold steel 1 Offline

Loc: Top of the hill Deepin the woo...
Bag balm

(Edit..Please edit your profile to include where you are from..Ric)

(Edit: Forget it. I've just rescinded your membership. If you can't follow the simple instructions on the registration screen, then you're probably not going to be able to participate here. Cute don't get it. frown -- Hal)

#7289 - 12/15/06 11:23 PM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Push the cracks together and put super glue over it and then I cover it with band aids.

#7290 - 12/17/06 10:07 AM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
MB Offline

Loc: Ohio
O'Keefes "Working Hands Cream"
Neutrogena Scent Free Hand cream

Like mentioned - super glue on painful cracks that need sealed.(works for a few days).

#7291 - 12/17/06 10:30 AM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
nickb Offline

Loc: Eastern Ohio
Plain old Vasoline. I have several pair of brown cotton gloves, every morning before I leave I rub a liberal amount of vasoline into my hands then put the gloves on to kinda soak up the surplus. works for me. I do this from day one, keeps the hands from getting bad before it happens.

#7292 - 12/17/06 02:59 PM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
trapper dale Offline

Loc: eastern ohio
had severe skin problems awhile back and as nick b said use vasoline.my doctor also said to use it.i put on a thin layer after i wash my hands.

#7293 - 12/17/06 05:23 PM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Vaseline works good, if you don't mind having greasy hands.

The best thing I have found so far, bar none, is Curel. I runs about the same price as Aveeno, but soaks into hands/elbows way better and leaves no greasy residue.

I put it on at night, and don't worry about my hands during the day. If you have bad cracks, you will want to use it during the day as well, until your healed, then just nights as needed will keep you in business.

RO smile

#7294 - 12/18/06 03:04 AM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I've tried Watkins salve, and Porters salve and they both work good for chapped hands. The best thing I've found is regular petroleum jelly(Vaseline), it helps to set it beside your stove, untill it's liquid, and dab it on your knuckles, and finger-tips with a cloth, just like "oiling" your rifle. A little goes a long way, if you smear it on 20 or 30 minutes before bed-time, it'll soak in, (and not be messy), you'll be surprised how much better your hands are in the morning. I know this will sound silly, but I've "greased" my hands, and wore cotton gloves to bed. When your hands are sore/tender and you have 1000 cracks/paper-cuts, on each hand, you'll try anything. It works. smile

#7295 - 12/18/06 05:01 AM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
Mountain Cur Offline

Loc: Louisiana
This is a very good topic, it don't take me but about one trip and one round of skinning and my hands are cracked. I'm gonna try some of these suggetions. The best thing I've used was cornhuskers lotion, but I don't think it works as good for a preventative as some of ya'lls suggestions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.