Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#7306 - 12/29/06 10:55 AM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
Corn Huskers is great w/o the mess. Triple antibiotic is a good idea for cuts and cracks, contains white petrolatum, (vasoline). Provides temporary waterproofing for open cuts/scratches etc. Don't forget about your feet, mine get dry and cracked too.

#7307 - 12/30/06 10:23 AM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
pickles Offline

Loc: E-ville, Pa.
Good old bag balm, seem sto work when nothing else does. Just like we used on the cow's when I was kid working on a farm.

Semper Fi

#7308 - 12/30/06 03:06 PM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
When my father was alive he use to tell me when he lived on the farm In the 30's and husked corn by hand and their hands got chapped they used cow urine on them I never thought to much of it till I read the lables on some hand creams Urine sees to be a common ingrediant.
what Otterwater said about feet is also a problem I found out that wearing wicking socks for more than one consecutive day that my feet dryout so bad they crack and bleed . To remady the situation wear cotton socks I lost a days hunt in buck season because of cracked feet from wicking socks,

#7309 - 12/30/06 06:31 PM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Question: When you grease your hands doesn't that up the odds of scenting up a snare/trap?

My hands are a mess year round. This time of year the dog snaps, cold, amd stuff are really rough on them. If I'm setting snares I won't grease them because I don't want anything on the snare. If it isn't trapping season I'll use lotion.

Spray bandage helps also. I think it's cheaper than super glue.

#7310 - 01/01/07 09:32 PM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
Art Stone Offline

Loc: dawson springs, ky
My hands stay cracked and bleeding @ work year round, but I've been on vacation for a week and have fleshed and put up a few beaver and my hands are healed. I've got to blame it on the beaver, but I always wear rubber gauntlets when trapping in water.

#7311 - 01/04/07 02:08 AM Re: water trappers: how do you protect your hands
BuckNE Offline

Loc: Nebraska
In my job, I wear rubber gloves duct taped at the wrists, with thin cotton liners inside of them. Frequently, the gloves get so full of sweat that when I peel them off sweat pours out. I've got callouses on the inside of my right thumb and on the edge of my right forefinger, where you wouldn't expect to find callouses. Really hard callouses.

I use just about anything with lanolin in it. No problems with splitting.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.