Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7408 - 01/08/10 03:20 PM boat trapping
RVR TRPER Offline

Loc: ohio
i do most of my trapping on a river out of a boat lots of shallow spots logs rocks these are standard prop motor killers could go with a jet motor but i cant build a jet motor and they are high dollar and get plugged up sometimes. im able to make a mud motor i want to know if and one has or used a mud motor/go devil/beaver tail. regardless of brand i would like to have your opionion on these long shaft/surface drive. give me the good bad and uglys of these motors

#7409 - 01/08/10 05:51 PM Re: boat trapping
Wis Trapper Offline

Loc: South West Wisconsin
Have you considered a Mac's River runner? You can veiw them at www.propsavers.com. I have no experience with surface drive motors such as the go devils and the like, but I've got one of the Mac's River Runners on our boat and it sure helps out and they are far less expensive than a new motor.
Brad

#7410 - 01/08/10 06:15 PM Re: boat trapping
RVR TRPER Offline

WENT TO THE WEBSITE TO CHECK IT OUT PRETY COOL BUT IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE ABILTY TO RUN IN 6" OF WATER MUD/JET MOTORS GIVE YOU THIS ABILITY THANKS FOR THE INFO ANYWAYS

#7411 - 01/08/10 06:54 PM Re: boat trapping
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Please don't type in all caps. It makes it appear as if YOU ARE SHOUTING AT PEOPLE. smile

Thanks.

Hal

#7412 - 01/10/10 03:07 AM Re: boat trapping
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
We use the long tailed motors for waterfowl hunting and they work good. No reverse and hard to steer, but better then pushing a prop driven boat through the muck. Dale

#7413 - 01/10/10 02:44 PM Re: boat trapping
RVR TRPER Offline

dale i have a 30hp yr2002 suzuki but it takes at least 1' of water catfishin in the summer isnt much fun with a prop motor and can get expensive if you bang up your motor just wanted to know what people thought about the mud motors they say they have taken care of the hard to steer part with surface drive motors

#7414 - 01/11/10 12:42 AM Re: boat trapping
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
I know nothing about surface drive motors other then what I see going through the marshes. The cost of these motors, a dealer should have a boat with one on it and take you out to use it. I wouldnt go buy one because of some opinions you get, I would talk to a dealer and tell them what you are wanting it to do and then test drive one. I dont believe you can touch a shallow drive motor for less than 5000, so I would make sure its what you want. Im sure the surface drives turn much better then the long tailed motors due to the fact that the prop is right behind the boat, and they probably have a reverse in them too. Dale

#7415 - 01/11/10 01:22 AM Re: boat trapping
RVR TRPER Offline

pro drive brand motors do offer reverse and you are about right on about the price on surface drives give or take grand depending on hp and options the long shafts are much cheaper, found plans on the net to build your own i have a welder and metal working tools that i do a lot of work with they claim $600 to build a 6-10hp long tail unit might build one just to try, that way if i dont like it im only out 600 instead of 2k the closest dealer is michigan or pa both are 3 to 4 hrs away

#7416 - 01/11/10 03:42 AM Re: boat trapping
Dusty Offline
Member+

Loc: North Pole, Alaska, USA
You might also consider a lift. I've got a fair bit of time putzing around with a 9.9HP hanging off a lift on a 19' Grumman canoe, and they're a huge improvement over a standard prop, if not as good as a jet (unless you have weeds, in which case a jet is useless).

If you can weld, you can probably build one in an evening.

Carry a couple spare impellers, know how to clean gunk out of your cooling system, be conscious of draining everything in freezing weather, and watch for cooling stoppage.

#7417 - 01/11/10 02:19 PM Re: boat trapping
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Color me confused. What's a "lift" and how is it different from a standard prop?

Hal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.