Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#7437 - 01/16/06 02:34 PM Trap chains for water trapping
WI_Archer Offline

Loc: WI
I am planning on putting 3-4 ft. on all of my water trapping equipment for coon, muskrat and mink. The reason I am doing this is much of the water that I trap is not deep enought to drown a coon, and for mink and 'rats I just hate using wire because it is a pain. Just a good way to poke holes in gauntlets. I was just wondering what size chain you guys would use for a setup like this and how many swivels in a chain of that length? I was thinking about #2 strait link chain with a swivel at the trap, one at the stake end and 1-2 mid chain swivels. Is this overkill?

#7438 - 01/16/06 03:41 PM Re: Trap chains for water trapping
donwh Offline

Loc: Missouri
If you got the swivels and chain its not over kill to me. I have 12" of chain on some of my water traps and I rig them with an additional 2 feet of cable with an adjustable end. One swivel at trap, one swivel 2 links down then one at end of chain. Never had any problems with this set up on a 1 1/2 size trap staked in deep water.
good luck don
PS I don't like all the wire either.

#7439 - 01/16/06 03:57 PM Re: Trap chains for water trapping
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
I agree I have a lot of my 11's with at least 6 feet of chain most have more. I use #2 twist link. only because it is cheap and in the water I don't worry about coyotes biting and opening up the twist. The only thing other that I add is one solid link about two feet from the end so I can wrap the chain around something and hook the drag through this link. I like to pretangle if I can .Mink don't go anywhere with just a drag but a coon can and I don't have the time to look for critters before work in the morning. A good place to get these extra links is at the hardware store where they cut chain. I take home a pile every time I go by I also use these cut links to bottom swivel my traps I am lucky enough to have a welder that really healps. good luck. smile

#7440 - 01/16/06 04:18 PM Re: Trap chains for water trapping
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
I have several 1000 ft. of chain, most of it is in 5 ft. pieces with a swivel in the middle and 1 on ea. end. Set up like this I can put a piece of chain on any trap I need to and if I dont need it its not in my way. I use 1/8 quick links to connect my chain. The 1/8 will fit in the hole on the end of the swivel, makes a solid connection. I have 7 330's in a run with 13 pieces of chain on ea. one to get it to solid ground. Have to use a boat to set because of the soft bottom. I start with 10 traps, when I make a catch I drag him in, when I get down to 3 traps I'll unload the boat and reset the 10.

#25361 - 10/17/17 12:21 PM Re: Trap chains for water trapping [Re: WI_Archer]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.