Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7479 - 02/18/06 07:46 PM rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

Loc: PA
What kind of foothold traps should I buy for rats? Will #1s work?

(Edit: Title edited to reflect content. -- Hal)

#7480 - 02/18/06 08:41 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
WI_Archer Offline

Loc: WI
Yes, #1s will work but the 1-1/2 is a much better trap in my opinion. The extra weight is very beneficial for drowning them. I myself prefer coils, because of the easiness to bed and the extra weight to drown, but longsprings will do the job on 'rats. I also use these traps for mink and coon. One downfall of the coil however is setting on floating feedbeds for rats, the coil will sink if the feeder isn't big enough. Hope this helps.

#7481 - 02/18/06 09:16 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
deerehunter03 Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
I used some #11 and they worked awsome this year. These worked well on coons and muskrat. every rat I caught was drowned. Also my misses were literally cut to 0!

#7482 - 02/19/06 07:27 AM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

Thanks guys! This helps a lot!

#7483 - 02/19/06 02:26 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Mn.
If you want the best of rat traps,go with the #1 stoploss or Guard trap.This trap allows you to take rats in shallow and or weed filled areas,without twist offs.
With proper staking,I also take many coon and beaver in my rat sets every year.
Tom Olson

#7484 - 02/19/06 02:46 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

What is diffent between a #1 stopless and a regular #1. Is it like a off set? And please post a web site where i can buy them.
Thanks!

#7485 - 02/19/06 03:08 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Bogmaster Offline

The stoploss has an extra spring on it--when the trap is fired, the gaurd spring goes over the leg and or shoulder .Preventing the rtas from twisting.I will send you a pm.
Tom Olson

#7486 - 02/19/06 04:51 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I use a variety of traps for rats. #1 jumps, long springs, 1 1/2 coils... I just make sure I can drown the rats. In my opinion, to an extent, it really doesn't matter what trap you use as long as you can drown the rats. I bought up a bunch of # 1 jumps and long springs, cheap, and have good success by keeping my sets so that the rats are drowned quickley.

#7487 - 02/19/06 05:27 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Bogmaster Offline

After 40 years,I still stick with the stoploss traps.I have at one time or another,tried most everything.Jumps, regular longsprings,and coilsprings ,do work well--but--deep water must be right at hand ,with no interfering vegetation.This just isn't available in a good muskrat marsh.While water depths may be more than sufficient--so is the vegetation that stops a rat from deep sixing.That is why I rely on the stoploss traps.
When I was young,I had a lake with mainly bank rats in it.I used #1 longsprings in the den entrances,water depths were sufficient and no vegetation to hang up on--traps worked like a charm.
The areas I have trapped for the last 3 plus decades ,are not like that--thus my reliance on a different trap.
Tom Olson

#7488 - 02/19/06 05:39 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
scout Offline

Loc: Northeast PA
I would also reccomend the stoploss style of traps with this qualifier. Not all stop-loss traps are created equal. The wide guard style that was made by blake and lamb is much superior. The guard when sprung pins the rat or coon between the guard and the long spring making for a hold that keeps the rat from twisting off and escaping if it should not drown. Other styles such as the victor go the other way and frequently throw the catch out of the trap.

Scout

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.