Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7479 - 02/18/06 07:46 PM rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

Loc: PA
What kind of foothold traps should I buy for rats? Will #1s work?

(Edit: Title edited to reflect content. -- Hal)

#7480 - 02/18/06 08:41 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
WI_Archer Offline

Loc: WI
Yes, #1s will work but the 1-1/2 is a much better trap in my opinion. The extra weight is very beneficial for drowning them. I myself prefer coils, because of the easiness to bed and the extra weight to drown, but longsprings will do the job on 'rats. I also use these traps for mink and coon. One downfall of the coil however is setting on floating feedbeds for rats, the coil will sink if the feeder isn't big enough. Hope this helps.

#7481 - 02/18/06 09:16 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
deerehunter03 Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
I used some #11 and they worked awsome this year. These worked well on coons and muskrat. every rat I caught was drowned. Also my misses were literally cut to 0!

#7482 - 02/19/06 07:27 AM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

Thanks guys! This helps a lot!

#7483 - 02/19/06 02:26 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Mn.
If you want the best of rat traps,go with the #1 stoploss or Guard trap.This trap allows you to take rats in shallow and or weed filled areas,without twist offs.
With proper staking,I also take many coon and beaver in my rat sets every year.
Tom Olson

#7484 - 02/19/06 02:46 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

What is diffent between a #1 stopless and a regular #1. Is it like a off set? And please post a web site where i can buy them.
Thanks!

#7485 - 02/19/06 03:08 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Bogmaster Offline

The stoploss has an extra spring on it--when the trap is fired, the gaurd spring goes over the leg and or shoulder .Preventing the rtas from twisting.I will send you a pm.
Tom Olson

#7486 - 02/19/06 04:51 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I use a variety of traps for rats. #1 jumps, long springs, 1 1/2 coils... I just make sure I can drown the rats. In my opinion, to an extent, it really doesn't matter what trap you use as long as you can drown the rats. I bought up a bunch of # 1 jumps and long springs, cheap, and have good success by keeping my sets so that the rats are drowned quickley.

#7487 - 02/19/06 05:27 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Bogmaster Offline

After 40 years,I still stick with the stoploss traps.I have at one time or another,tried most everything.Jumps, regular longsprings,and coilsprings ,do work well--but--deep water must be right at hand ,with no interfering vegetation.This just isn't available in a good muskrat marsh.While water depths may be more than sufficient--so is the vegetation that stops a rat from deep sixing.That is why I rely on the stoploss traps.
When I was young,I had a lake with mainly bank rats in it.I used #1 longsprings in the den entrances,water depths were sufficient and no vegetation to hang up on--traps worked like a charm.
The areas I have trapped for the last 3 plus decades ,are not like that--thus my reliance on a different trap.
Tom Olson

#7488 - 02/19/06 05:39 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
scout Offline

Loc: Northeast PA
I would also reccomend the stoploss style of traps with this qualifier. Not all stop-loss traps are created equal. The wide guard style that was made by blake and lamb is much superior. The guard when sprung pins the rat or coon between the guard and the long spring making for a hold that keeps the rat from twisting off and escaping if it should not drown. Other styles such as the victor go the other way and frequently throw the catch out of the trap.

Scout

#7489 - 02/20/06 07:27 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
BillWI Offline

Loc: Bonduel,WI,US
I agree that the stoploss trap is the way to go for rats. I still use 1 1/2 LS and both #1 LS and jumps but only in places where the trap is on a ledge and goes deep fast. I've used #1 coilsprings with doulbe jaws the last two years and have had really good results with almost no ring outs. Actually tried shallower water this year also with good results. Nice thing is there easier to get to fit in some places.
I'll have to disagree with scout on which style stoploss I prefer. I've always had more problems with ringouts with the style that has the stoploss come back toward the spring. In my opinion it gives the rat something to get leverage on. Where the style that rotates away pins the rat out away and they have nothing to get leverage on and twist. Just an opinion from what I've seen.
Dirthole 2 almost all trap supply dealers carry stoploss traps in different brands. Far as I know only Bridger and Duke make a #1 Stoploss. I personally like the Bridger but the new style Duke are also a nice trap.
Bill

#7490 - 02/20/06 08:24 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

Thanks for all the info. guys. This helps alot. I think i'm going to try the #1 stopless Dukes. Thanks again!!!!!!!!

#7491 - 02/20/06 10:20 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
bblwi Offline

Loc: Kiel, WI
I have over 10 dozen 1 Victor round pan stoploss traps and also 4 dozen 1.5 longspring B&L stoploss traps.
They work very well, far superior for my methods and area than regular longsprings and or jumps etc.
I hold coon in the Victor stoploss with ease and now mutilations also.
If I were to gear up again I would go with the Bogmaster model Duke 1 stoploss as that is a strong user friendly least cost for value trap in that style in my opinion.

Bryce

#7492 - 02/21/06 06:41 AM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

What do you guys think of #1 Blake and Lamb sure-holds? Has anyone used these and what do you think of them? Thanks!!!!

#7493 - 02/23/06 09:21 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Bobber Offline

Loc: Arcade N.Y.
I use mostly stop-loss traps for rats also,and have B&L Shur-holds, round pan Victors, and I tried a few new Dukes this season which I got from Tom. I have always liked the B&L Shur-hold design over the Victor. When setting the Victor's, you have to flip the pan out of the way to set them, and the pan ends up a little high when set, as the guard goes under the pan. This makes for toe catches with this trap.I have caught many mink toe nails due to this high pan situation. The new Duke is a nice trap, as the spring is very strong, and designed like the B&L. The guard spring is strongerthan the B&L Shur-hold. Very worthy successor to the old B&L. I have even used the old #1 B&L's in dry sets for mink and have held some large coon too. Just watch how you cover them.

#7494 - 02/24/06 05:37 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
muskman Offline

Loc: Weston,ohio
I personally like #1 longspring traps and accasionally a #11 longspring where a coon may be present.

#7495 - 02/24/06 07:54 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

Thanks for all the info. guys i'm going to try few different kinds of traps. I was woundering what brand 110s you guys like? And are the 110 magnums better? Thanks again for all the info. this helps a lot.

#7496 - 02/24/06 09:49 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Hillbilly910 Offline

Loc: Brookville IN
i really need to see one of these stop-loss traps, i just cant comprehend what you guys rae describing...

Hillbilly cool

#7497 - 02/25/06 01:04 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
muskman Offline

Loc: Weston,ohio
I like Dukes and i really like magnums they work great on my water line.

#7498 - 02/25/06 01:26 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Claude Offline

Loc: Freeman Missouri
Quote:
i really need to see one of these stop-loss traps, i just cant comprehend what you guys rae describing...

(Edit: Photo edited for size and archived. -- Hal)

#7499 - 02/25/06 02:23 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Hillbilly910 Offline

Loc: Brookville IN
So that wire loop will pin down whats caught... i see... a picture is worth a thousand words LOL.
How would that work on a coon though, dont seem like that would be enough to do much, looks like it would work great for muskrats and mink though.

Hillbilly cool

#7500 - 02/25/06 05:06 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Bogmaster Offline

I catch several coon and beaver,each year in that trap.Biggest coon this year--34 pounds.
That trap you are looking at ,has a very good spring.The key to holding coon and beaver in rat sets---is staking and a strong spring.A lathe or willow stick aren't going to do it.My rat stakes ,are 1 inch square and made of hardwood--4 to 6 feet in length.I also connect trap to stake with cable and snap clips--no wire whatsover.
Tom Olson

#7501 - 02/25/06 10:50 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
Boggy, I did'nt see a Delay pin on the chain.
You helped design the trap, or should I say designed it?
Whats your thoughts on a Delay pin ?

#7502 - 02/26/06 12:10 AM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Bogmaster Offline

A delay pin is not needed.When a delay pin gets hung up it means a lost rat.
I went several years without using a pin.It didn't affect my catch at all.
Tom Olson

#25364 - 10/17/17 12:22 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps) [Re: dirthole#2]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.