Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7489 - 02/21/06 01:27 AM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
BillWI Offline

Loc: Bonduel,WI,US
I agree that the stoploss trap is the way to go for rats. I still use 1 1/2 LS and both #1 LS and jumps but only in places where the trap is on a ledge and goes deep fast. I've used #1 coilsprings with doulbe jaws the last two years and have had really good results with almost no ring outs. Actually tried shallower water this year also with good results. Nice thing is there easier to get to fit in some places.
I'll have to disagree with scout on which style stoploss I prefer. I've always had more problems with ringouts with the style that has the stoploss come back toward the spring. In my opinion it gives the rat something to get leverage on. Where the style that rotates away pins the rat out away and they have nothing to get leverage on and twist. Just an opinion from what I've seen.
Dirthole 2 almost all trap supply dealers carry stoploss traps in different brands. Far as I know only Bridger and Duke make a #1 Stoploss. I personally like the Bridger but the new style Duke are also a nice trap.
Bill

#7490 - 02/21/06 02:24 AM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

Loc: PA
Thanks for all the info. guys. This helps alot. I think i'm going to try the #1 stopless Dukes. Thanks again!!!!!!!!

#7491 - 02/21/06 04:20 AM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
bblwi Offline

Loc: Kiel, WI
I have over 10 dozen 1 Victor round pan stoploss traps and also 4 dozen 1.5 longspring B&L stoploss traps.
They work very well, far superior for my methods and area than regular longsprings and or jumps etc.
I hold coon in the Victor stoploss with ease and now mutilations also.
If I were to gear up again I would go with the Bogmaster model Duke 1 stoploss as that is a strong user friendly least cost for value trap in that style in my opinion.

Bryce

#7492 - 02/21/06 12:41 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

What do you guys think of #1 Blake and Lamb sure-holds? Has anyone used these and what do you think of them? Thanks!!!!

#7493 - 02/24/06 03:21 AM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Bobber Offline

Loc: Arcade N.Y.
I use mostly stop-loss traps for rats also,and have B&L Shur-holds, round pan Victors, and I tried a few new Dukes this season which I got from Tom. I have always liked the B&L Shur-hold design over the Victor. When setting the Victor's, you have to flip the pan out of the way to set them, and the pan ends up a little high when set, as the guard goes under the pan. This makes for toe catches with this trap.I have caught many mink toe nails due to this high pan situation. The new Duke is a nice trap, as the spring is very strong, and designed like the B&L. The guard spring is strongerthan the B&L Shur-hold. Very worthy successor to the old B&L. I have even used the old #1 B&L's in dry sets for mink and have held some large coon too. Just watch how you cover them.

#7494 - 02/24/06 11:37 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
muskman Offline

Loc: Weston,ohio
I personally like #1 longspring traps and accasionally a #11 longspring where a coon may be present.

#7495 - 02/25/06 01:54 AM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
dirthole#2 Offline

Thanks for all the info. guys i'm going to try few different kinds of traps. I was woundering what brand 110s you guys like? And are the 110 magnums better? Thanks again for all the info. this helps a lot.

#7496 - 02/25/06 03:49 AM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Hillbilly910 Offline

Loc: Brookville IN
i really need to see one of these stop-loss traps, i just cant comprehend what you guys rae describing...

Hillbilly cool

#7497 - 02/25/06 07:04 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
muskman Offline

Loc: Weston,ohio
I like Dukes and i really like magnums they work great on my water line.

#7498 - 02/25/06 07:26 PM Re: rat traps -- stoploss traps (guard traps)
Claude Offline

Loc: Freeman Missouri
Quote:
i really need to see one of these stop-loss traps, i just cant comprehend what you guys rae describing...

(Edit: Photo edited for size and archived. -- Hal)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.