Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7503 - 09/27/02 03:25 PM Success Rate in Drowning Coons
Wade McArthur Offline

Loc: Chadron, NE
Next question:

Please keep in mind that I didn't start trapping until I was in college and that wasn't that long ago.

Initially, I simply staked my coon traps or anchored them to something solid. Then I realized that state law said that I only had to check drowning sets once every other day so I started making drowning sets for coon. I still usually check my traps every day because I can't stand the suspense but here is what I'm getting:

100% of Mink and muskrats seems to zip right down the wire and drown.

50% or maybe a little better of coon drown. The rest are still up on the bank.

Any idea how I can fix this or what I'm doing to cause it? Right now I have very little faith in being able to drown coons. I"m using 1.5 coils or #11 longs sometimes with a drowning lock and #11 gauge wire.

As always, I appreciate the help.

#7504 - 09/27/02 06:25 PM Re: Success Rate in Drowning Coons
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
There will allway's be those few coon that won't go down the drowner.
But I have found that If you can get your lock as far down the drowner,in other words don't have It right at the bank.Give that coon a head start down the drowner. Make sure your lock will move freely and not bind up.

The Beav

#7505 - 09/27/02 09:04 PM Re: Success Rate in Drowning Coons
gonefishin Offline

Loc: charlottesville,indiana
some coons just dont want to take the plunge,Do like the above said,slide that lock down as far as you can to start with, if they cant get out of the water where they are they will be more likely to take a "swim" wink

#7506 - 09/27/02 10:20 PM Re: Success Rate in Drowning Coons
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Wade: Can you explain this a little better? I am most concerned with: "sometimes with a drowning lock and #11 gauge wire."

Does this mean you don't always use a slide wire and drowning lock system? Or that you don't always use a drowning lock?

With a coon on a good slide wire system, your lethal percentage should be much higher than 50%.

Does anybody else have a 50% failure rate on coons on slide wires?

confused -- Hal

#7507 - 09/28/02 12:38 AM Re: Success Rate in Drowning Coons
DJ88RYR Offline

Loc: Reedsville PA
I have to say that I have had more like 95% success with a drowning set, provided there was enough water to allow them to drown, where there isn't I used conibears. I don't even use so-called drowning locks sold in the trapper supply houses, but rather small 90 degree angle brackets purchased at any hardware store, they work great and are very in expensive....DJ

#7508 - 09/28/02 07:11 AM Re: Success Rate in Drowning Coons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hal,

What I meant, is that I only use #11 longs sometimes. I always use some type of lock and always use #11 wire.

Maybe the problem is that I'm letting the coons get out of the water and that's why some of them don't take the plunge.

My drowning rate may be better than 50%. That was a quick estimate but all I know is that I find a lot of them not drowned.

#7509 - 09/28/02 02:39 PM Re: Success Rate in Drowning Coons
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
This Is what I do and It works very good.
I use about 14" of chain i have a swivel at the trap and one at mid chain and one at the end of the chain. I make my own drowner locks.I use a piece of 3/4" flat stock I drill all the holes first and then cut to length.I then bend the flat stock that has the smaller hole (hole for the wire) at a 90 deg angle this bend Is about 1 1/2" long.
I attach my lock on my drowner( I use 1/4" rod for drowners)I hook my trap to the lock with a kwik link or you can wire the trap chain to the lock.
You want to be able to adjust the chain on the lock with different water conditions. Shallow water shorten up the chain deeper water use all the chain you have.
After you have the set made and the trap placed move your drowner lock as far down the drowner as you can, don't leave any slack so the coon can go up on the bank.Make sure your cable or wire Is very tight,the lock will slide better on a tight wire.One more thing keep the stake that's at the bank under water or better still below ground level don't let that coon get a hold of anything.
This may sound like a lot of work but It will pay off and once you get use to it, It will become second nature to you.
Hope this helps you out.

The Beav

#7510 - 09/29/02 09:21 AM Re: Success Rate in Drowning Coons
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the Beav may have hit on the problem.-Slackness in your wire/drowner cable. This slack area will prevent the lock from moving quickly down to deep water. I prefer to give the lock a "head start" as well. I like drowner cables much better as they are reusable many times. Good luck.

#7511 - 10/01/02 06:45 PM Re: Success Rate in Drowning Coons
Wade McArthur Offline

Loc: Chadron, NE
Thanks everyone.

I'll try again come Nov. 1. You all had pretty good points, I'll pay more attention to detail.

#7512 - 10/19/02 12:02 PM Re: Success Rate in Drowning Coons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another Idea is to run the wire down stream. If in a river with a current, put the deep end of the wire downstream of the bank wire, this will let the current "help" drownd you coon!

Good Luck!
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.