Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7515 - 02/11/06 06:30 AM Considering a boat...
Claude Offline

Loc: Freeman Missouri
I have a river here that I have been trying to trap...
Steep banks, log jams, rocks, sand bars, choke points, hard to wade...
No great places to put a boat in the water, but some bridges where I could park and hump something light...

I have focused mainly on water trapping...

A small lake that I trap has some remote areas that are way too time consuming to walk to.

A marsh in the same area, I have been pulling otter, beaver, and rats, just on one little spot...

Been thinking about this for a while. Would love to have a powered jon boat, but would have to travel too far to be able to use it...

Have been thinking about kayaks, canoes, pirogues, small plastic pontoons, etc. the 5hp briggs and stratton outboard motor and electric trolling motors...

Seems that the more stability and payload capacity ya get, the harder it will be to paddle, and drag (heavier)...
So I am leaning towards a canoe, seems that ya can put more stuff in it and it will be fairly light, and maybe not too hard to paddle.
Think I can make something to plug into my reciever on the pickup to extend the bed where I can just let it hang out of the back of the truck, for quick, easy loading and unloading...
I see they make a folding carrier, with inflatable tires to walk it into remote areas...

Just wondering how stable the thing will be getting in and out of it?

I really think I could do well in the river if I can figure out how to work it as it is not being trapped because of the difficulty.

I am thinking 4 or 5 loads/launches daily...
No motor, light, basic...

Your input please- cool

#7516 - 02/11/06 07:12 AM Re: Considering a boat...
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Coleman canoe. It's very stable, indestructable, carries lots of stuff, and can be loaded/unloaded off a roof rack by one person.

I've had the same one since 1983.It's still in great condition despite having been abused.

#7517 - 02/11/06 07:18 AM Re: Considering a boat...
Claude Offline

Ah I see coleman is mfged by Pelican, That is what I was looking at "Pelican" RamX plastic...

#7518 - 02/11/06 09:59 AM Re: Considering a boat...
french fry Offline

Loc: drexel hill, pa
i don't do alot of water trapping but i do alot of canoeing. i have an old aluminum canoe, light weight, no problem moving it around alone. they are pretty stable if you stay in the center. i made a make shift pontoon out of two aluminum poles and a piece of foam,attaches with hose clamps to the cross bars. this makes the canoe much more stable with alot of weight in the boat, but it does make paddleing harder. keep all the weight centered in the canoe and you'll be fine, sounds fun !!!

#7519 - 02/11/06 01:26 PM Re: Considering a boat...
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
Water trapping from a boat is indeed fun and opens up a whole new world to the guy willing to put in the extra time.I've been boatin for fur for 10 years now and i don't run into any other trappers along my route,and my fur take has increased greatly.You can run a huge line by boat compared to what you can walkin.I use a boat from otter outdoors in minnesota called the Final Attack.Its made from heavy duty plastic and looks like a wedge,weighs 70lbs. and has 2 wheels built into the back for draggin it around or over whatever is in your way.It's 8 feet long and can handle a 2hp motor or an electric trolling motor.Only drawback to that is the battery takes up a little room.I prefer a little 2hp for mine.I usually strap my gear to the nose of the boat and that leaves the inside cockpit to put your fur.I know it sounds small but i've had a full size whitetail deer in there with me and still had plenty of room.It is a flat bottom type craft and is wide and very stable-you can sit on the edge and it won't even tilt.Only drawback is if you get over 1 foot of chop on the water you start getting spray-remember the boat is shaped like a wedge or ramp.You should be able to find this boat in a cabelas catalog or on their website-it's made for duck hunting but it works the nuts for trapping.I can load mine right in the back of my gmc jimmy with about 1 foot hanging out the back.I run a 5 mile water line on a small river but have had it on the big water many times.

#7520 - 02/12/06 09:21 AM Re: Considering a boat...
Freepistol Offline

Loc: District 7, PA
How do you boaters get around the ice?
On the North Branch of the Susquehanna River in PA, we get edge icing ovenight and we can get huge icebergs flowing just as quickly. Do you get iced out often?
I guess my apprehension is what keeps most people off the water and gives you all the trapping room you need.
Yesterday a goose hunter fell overboard and is presumed dead. They did rescue his Chapstick and cigarettes.

#7521 - 02/12/06 10:32 AM Re: Considering a boat...
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
Well,i've never hit a floating iceberg before while trapping,i drive around them.As far as edge ice goes i just run the boat up onto it and try and break my way thru to shore to keep my beaver sets going.I can usaully break up to 1 1/2" thick ice with my little "Attack" boat,but much more then that and i'm done.I do burn up a fair number of water pump impellers while doing it though,but their cheap and i can change then pretty quick.

#7522 - 02/12/06 09:05 PM Re: Considering a boat...
bushog4 Offline

Loc: scottsburg virginia
I do alot of water trapping from boats and canoes.I really couldn't operate without one.I have found my canoe to be the best on smaller rivers as I can put it in just about anywhere.I have an old town one man canoe that only weighs about 30 pounds.It has lots of room.I highly recomend a double bladed paddle as it is easier to go upsteam in current not having to switch sides with the paddle.Its also geat to steady the boat when you are getting out or tending sets from the boat.I have tried using an electric motor but with the weight of the battery and all it's actually slower than just paddleing.I also use a john boat at times on bigger water,or when I need to carry alot of gear.I rarly have to deal with ice.

#7523 - 02/13/06 06:27 AM Re: Considering a boat...
Claude Offline

Well I bought a Pelican Colorado yesterday.
I saw it listed online @ 429 & got it fer 279 onsale... think I done alright
Took the toolbox out of the Dakota 4WD and with the tailgate down got about 5-1/2 foot sticking out of the back... laugh
Going to finish out beaver season with it and see how it goes...
I imagine I'm gonna find some good spots for next season... cool

#7524 - 02/13/06 04:48 PM Re: Considering a boat...
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Use the money you saved to buy a good, comfortable life jacket. That way you'll be certain to wear it. :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.