Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#7535 - 02/25/06 10:23 PM Re: Considering a boat...
Claude Offline

Loc: Freeman Missouri
Look again, 3 brown counterwieghts... smile

The stabilizers work great, just gotta be careful not to run em into stuff. Beats a February swim... eek

The trolling motor is nice also, had to lengthen the wires as the battery goes up in the bow. The gunwales on the Colorado dont have much of a lip, for the accessories to secure to, so I added 1"x1"x6" aluminum angles, and attached them with stainless steel hardware.

I appreciate the ideas posted here. I think once I learn how to drive it, the canoe will work great.

Still need to come up with some kinda rack for the Dakota 4x4, so I can put the toolbox back in, and have the bed back...

#7536 - 03/11/06 05:53 PM Re: Considering a boat...
trapper32 Offline

Loc: Northwest Iowa
Those stabilizers look sharp, are you able to stand in the canoe now? How stable do they make it?

#7537 - 03/11/06 10:08 PM Re: Considering a boat...
Claude Offline

Loc: Freeman Missouri
A lot more stable than without em... laugh

#7538 - 03/12/06 04:11 AM Re: Considering a boat...
snydboshawn Offline

Loc: NE OHIO
Claude is that a blonde beaver I see in there? What do you figure your total weight is with those beaver included? I ask because it sure makes a big difference with that dead weight pulling up any type of incline. Of course, the lighter the better.

#7539 - 03/12/06 03:01 PM Re: Considering a boat...
bobkat Offline

Loc: Ruckersville, Va
Nice set up Claude. I trap small creeks and rivers out of my 12ft Pungo kayak. Its fairly stable and carries what I need on small water. Beats toting big bvrs back to the truck. I have two canoes, one 16ft royalex and the other a 17ft square stern Grumman aluminum. The square stern will haul 900+ lbs but won't turn easily because of the keel. It is extremely stable; you can fall out of it but you can't turn it over. The royalex is a white water with no keel and will roll easily. Each has its own uses and flaws. Claude, Have you considered a plumbers or lader rack for your Dakota. Slide the canoe up there and you can still have the tool box and bed space freed up.

#7540 - 03/12/06 09:31 PM Re: Considering a boat...
WalkonWater Offline

Loc: New York
I like my old Sears jon boat. Super stable and light.
The stabilizers for the canoe seem to counter any advantage that the narrow design of a canoe would offer..Getting in narrow channels etc..The jon offers better stability, storage space without sacrificing on being lite weight.

#7541 - 03/13/06 09:50 PM Re: Considering a boat...
Talachulitna Jim Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
"Does your canoe have a Keel? They make tracking much easier on open water."

Yes, and they are guaranteed to cause you to flip in moving water, eventually.

I wouldn't have a keel on any canoe I own! The remedy for tracking is to learn how to paddle.

Jim

#25367 - 10/17/17 05:22 PM Re: Considering a boat... [Re: Claude]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.