Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#7560 - 02/09/07 12:57 PM #220 for beaver
bmead Offline

Loc: ny
is a 220 big enough to relibly catch a beaver

#7561 - 02/09/07 03:30 PM Re: #220 for beaver
Bismuth Boy Offline

Loc: Venango County, PA
You also asked this on at least one other board. In the hands of an inexperienced trapper, the 220 is NOT A BEAVER TRAP! Leave them on the wall, if you need more BEAVER traps either buy more 330's or add to your arsenal with BEAVER-SIZED footholds or snares. All you're going to do is make all your beavers square-shy. To answer your question, again, the 220 is NOT A BEAVER TRAP!!!

#7562 - 02/09/07 04:10 PM Re: #220 for beaver
bmead Offline

I am trying o get as much advice as i can, it is ilegal to use snairs in ny and my trapping supplier does not have 330's in stock. I am trying to trap these beaver to stop the damage to the woods I know there will be more next year but I have time now and I was trying to get use out of the traps I have allready.

#7563 - 02/09/07 06:49 PM Re: #220 for beaver
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
You would be better 0ff to order some 330's and use them. I have spots where I have used 220's on land for beaver and the spot has to be just right before I will use them. Trying to set these smaller traps in locations that are suited for the bigger traps and you will have more problems than success.

#7564 - 02/13/07 07:47 PM Re: #220 for beaver
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Mn.
My reply here,is the same as it was on the other forum.When trapping beaver---use a beaver trap(330).
When trapping coon,use a coon trap(220).
You can ask this question on 20 forums,and get lots of answers,some of them will give you the answer you want.Just because you get the answer you want,doesn't mean it is the right one.
A lot of people on the internet ,answer questions when their experience level,may not be what you want or need.
I have taken beaver in 220's do I think they are a good beaver trap??nope.Would I reccomend them to a novice--not on your life.
Just because your local dealer doesn't have 330s,isn't a reason to trap beaver with a coon trap.There are dealers all over the country,and they are only as far away as your phone,post office or computer.
330's --truly a beaver machine.
Tom Olson

#7565 - 02/13/07 09:12 PM Re: #220 for beaver
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
"You can ask this question on 20 forums,and get lots of answers,some of them will give you the answer you want.Just because you get the answer you want,doesn't mean it is the right one. A lot of people on the internet ,answer questions when their experience level,may not be what you want or need."

Thank you, Tom.

As the owner and operator of this site, it is hard for me to make a statement like that, without seeming to denigrate the competition. But the truth is, there is a whole lot of half-baked information flying around the internet. Most sites are hesitant to expose bad information or put the brakes on inexperienced posters for fear of alienating that member. I have no such qualms.

The most important thing to me is to present accurate information, not to foster a popularity contest. Although Ric and I take a tremendous amount of grief over it, we insist that a responder have a level of experience commensurate with their response. Again, we strive to present accurate information here.

The goal of this site is to supply trappers with reliable advice and information. If you read it here, there is a high degree of probability that you can rely on it.

smile -- Hal

#7566 - 02/15/07 01:05 PM Re: #220 for beaver
bmead Offline

thank you for all the info. I think you are right and I am going to find a few more 330's and hope for some of this evel white stuf to melt so I can trap on a snowmobeale and not get stuck.

#7567 - 02/15/07 01:27 PM Re: #220 for beaver
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
I recommend 330 bridgers, and these don't always stop a truly big beaver or otter immediately. So, even with strong traps, tie them off well. I only have 1 220 and I use it at possum and skunk dens. I'm not saying 220's don't have their place on the line, but beavs ain't it.

#26996 - 01/07/20 04:50 PM Re: #220 for beaver [Re: bmead]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.