Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7627 - 07/02/04 10:55 PM Dry land mink trapping
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
How many of you trapper target mink on dry land?

I have a very effective set that I will share with you after we discuse this topic.

Beav

#7628 - 07/03/04 02:12 AM Re: Dry land mink trapping
Beaver_spanker Offline

Loc: AR
When you say "dry land" do mean up on top of the bank or a half mile away from any water?

#7629 - 07/03/04 02:22 AM Re: Dry land mink trapping
mattjones298 Offline

Loc: smithland kentucky
gary, i for one could use a nother dry land mink set for mink running the tops of banks, hunting up on the high water mark on lake banks at winter pool 30 feet from the water (mousing) 110`s on good stableizers blocked down is about all i run like this.

i also like the coni mounts on logs running along the banks. i talked to hal about his stableizers at the last nta meet and have an idea on using them for a certain type set.

#7630 - 07/03/04 02:27 AM Re: Dry land mink trapping
717 Yards Offline

Loc: Holmes county, Ohio
I trap for them on both land and water but am going to more land sets early and mid-season. Water edge, bank sets for later season.
I trap a far share of weasels and used to use nothing but weasel type box's. Even after cutting a bigger hole in the box's I still was getting refusels from mink. It took awhile but came up with a different system which takes both. You do however have to put in a few coon sets close buy as they will work this set and if caught will tear it up.
I'm to give a weasel demo at the OS convention and will include it in the demo. After I will try to post some pictures of it or at least try to explain it better. "Matt"

#7631 - 07/04/04 05:37 PM Re: Dry land mink trapping
mattjones298 Offline

Loc: smithland kentucky
beav, you going to tell that set or whistle dixie.....matt

#7632 - 07/04/04 06:05 PM Re: Dry land mink trapping
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Sorry, Matt, we don’t allow whistling on these boards.

Gary: I’m no big mink trapper, but I do target them on dry land. That’s the “what for” behind the Circle Triggers. I think they show much more trigger avoidance on dry land than they do in or under water. Mostly I just use opportunistic blind sets.

Folks, we better have a little more participation here so Gary will give it up.

smile -- Hal

#7633 - 07/04/04 08:17 PM Re: Dry land mink trapping
mountainman33 Offline

Loc: Central Maine
Quote Hal, "Mostly I just use opportunistic blind sets."

Other than the occasional baited hollow log set on the high banks or the crossing logs, that about says it all for me too. laugh

...MM...

#7634 - 07/04/04 11:12 PM Re: Dry land mink trapping
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Whenever I find a seep (stream that runs under and over ground) I'll put in a marten box. It isn't unusual to catch a mink in one.

#7635 - 07/05/04 12:52 AM Re: Dry land mink trapping
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Blind sets are what I typicaly use for dry land mink.Years ago I used tunnels and cubby's baited with cracked corn with some success

#7636 - 07/05/04 02:06 AM Re: Dry land mink trapping
J Severing Offline
Member+

Loc: Livingston Manor N.Y. 12758
basically a blind setter also, one of my favorite dry land force sets is when you find a good size boulder that extends out into the water with a strong current\rappids (sp.) running the length of the boulder, find the mink, rats and coon like to pull out on the bottom and run tight to the back of the boulder.

also try to never miss the oppertunity to set up any apparent trails on the downstream banks leading to the vertex of the stream and road banks along with the pull outs themselves, when I hit the culverts that have water blowing through them full bore...jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.