Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7687 - 12/12/07 07:20 PM back foot catch in 330
tommypaul Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I just caught my first live beaver in a 330. The back left foot was in the trap with the beaver live and floating on the surface. This was one of two sets about 10 ft apart. Both were under logs in a channel. The trap in the downstream set was fired with no catch, but it looked as if a "mud trail" in the water indicated a beaver's passage. Dam was below this a good ways. The upstream log (set with catch) had sticks and debris around it as if the beaver was trying to pull them under the set. Did the beaver work between the sets and inadvertently stick a foot in the trap? Ideas on how this happened?

#7688 - 12/12/07 08:25 PM Re: back foot catch in 330
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
If the trap was under a log -- the beaver approached the trap, didn't like what it saw and tried to execute a 180 degree turn. It was too close to the trap when it executed this manuever, and kicked the trigger with a back foot.

smile -- Hal

#7689 - 12/12/07 09:10 PM Re: back foot catch in 330
dls1 Offline

Loc: Unionville, MO
sounds like a trap shy beaver to me. i think hal is right.

#7690 - 12/16/07 12:25 PM Re: back foot catch in 330
phys23 Offline

Loc: Idaho
I had this exact same thing happen to me this very season. It was at a bank den entrance, however. Looked as though the beaver came up to the entrance, didn't like what is saw, and made a 180 degree turn. Trap snapped on it's back foot. The only difference was the beaver drowned. I can only guess this was because he was trying to dive to get away from whatever was holding him back. Perhaps some of the trap weight helped keep him down too. First time I have ever seen this happen.

#7691 - 12/16/07 12:38 PM Re: back foot catch in 330
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
This type of incident is why I am so carefull now are far as scent goes when setting the new style body grips.

With the old style woodstream type trap all I would get is a sprung trap for your trouble if your set got blown.

But now with the new style hard gripping traps, they will catch and hold a beaver by the tail, loose skin on the belly, hind foot etc. If the beaver pushes over the trap like they often do and springs it by stepping on it a front foot catch is likely. When that happens hopefully the beaver gets tangled up and drowns otherwise he is gone.

Anyway my point is that doing ADC work in high profile locations means extra care has to be taken. The new traps hit hard and kill very well, but they hold any part they catch; and I don't like showing up to check a set only to find a group of irrate citizens freaking out over a beaver sitting on shore with a 330 on him somewhere.

#7692 - 12/16/07 01:53 PM Re: back foot catch in 330
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Mn.
Northern Trapper,Canadian trap specs are to blame.
If I wanted a footheld beaver,I would use strictly footholds.
I use 330's for a reason,I want a beaver down and out.The magnum ,total closure bodygrippers of canadian manufacture,are not used on my line.
On my big woods beaver line,a live beaver in a 330 is no big deal.But it means nothing but problems on any metropoitan area beavers I must catch.
Tom Olson

#7693 - 12/16/07 04:07 PM Re: back foot catch in 330
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
I'm not sure it is a question of blame rather than making an adjustment to setting technique that allows for the use of a trap that has become more efficient at catching.

All the trap does is make the consequences of setting errors more dramatic. Whether the trap was sprung, or a beaver was caught by the tail obviously the fault is with the set not the trap.

Set a body grip with bare hands and plop it on the top of a dam so it is silhouetted, then hang around to see how the beavers react to the trap.

You will learn a lot in a very short time how beavers approach and spring traps.

I have not had a foot catch in 3 years and my business takes about 1000 beavers annually.

#7694 - 12/16/07 04:26 PM Re: back foot catch in 330
Hal Offline

I've caught two beaver by the hind foot in regular jaw 330's. And I've caught a few more by the front foot in full closure 280's. I think this happens when the beaver avoids the trap opening, and tries to climb over the trap. I think its front paw is over top of the trap and the trap falls toward the beaver grabbing a front foot. And I agree whit NT that this is not good.

Hal

#7695 - 12/16/07 05:00 PM Re: back foot catch in 330
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Mn.
Hal,my first beaver bodygrippers were Montgomery #600's(a 280).I believe you are correct on the reason for front foot catches in the 280's.
The day I had several live beavers(all front foot catches)in the #600's, is the day I quit using them ,and switched to 330's.That inch to 1 1/2 inch difference,eliminated front foot catches.No attempts to climb over a 330.
Tom Olson

#7696 - 12/16/07 05:51 PM Re: back foot catch in 330
Hal Offline

I have a picture of an otter Charles Dobbins caught by the front foot in a 600. He probably wouldn't have held it except it drown.

Hal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.