Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7718 - 07/25/06 01:44 AM Drowning set/Slide-Wire, Question???
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
For the last few years, I've rigged all of my water sets to drown the animal. Or, at least keep the animal in the water, if it's too shallow for drowning.

I've been using 14ga "bailing wire" (used to tie hay/straw bales together), with RR tie-plates in deep water, and the top end staked or wired solid. I've used this system for years, with no major problems, but I guess 14 ga wire is a little-light for beaver. Maybe, I've just been lucky? Always looking for a better/easier way. What do you guys use? smile

#7719 - 07/25/06 03:21 AM Re: Drowning set/Slide-Wire, Question???
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Mn.
When i used footholds for beaver,I used 1/8 cable for my drowners.I still use these for coon.
1/8 " cable will last a long time,and it isn't going to break.
Tom Olson

#7720 - 07/25/06 04:54 PM Re: Drowning set/Slide-Wire, Question???
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
I used cable for years. The only problem I ever had with cable was they get kinked up sometimes, and they get tangled up in the bottom of the boat. Or worse yet I get tangled up in them in the bottom of the boat.
Then I started using a few 3/8 rebar rods. Now thats the ticket if your in a boat. I welded a nut 8 in. up from the bottom of the rod for a stop. Built a lock using 1/2 in. pipe and a removable stop for the top to drive the stake thru. (looks kinda like a double stake swivel)

NOW I use some rods and some chain both using the same lock. They both cost more but will last forever.

#7721 - 07/25/06 06:48 PM Re: Drowning set/Slide-Wire, Question???
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I've had 14 gauge wire break and I've had beaver with a couple of RR plates sitting on the bank waiting for me. mad

I've gone to cable and rerod.

#7722 - 07/26/06 02:11 AM Re: Drowning set/Slide-Wire, Question???
redsnow Online   content

Years ago I made-up a dozen or so cable-drowning rigs, they worked good for the first and second catch. After that, they were all kinked, and twisted to the point it was difficult to toss out the weight, without getting a knot in the cable. Like i said, that was years ago, maybe i didn't have enough weight for an anchor? Another thing I didn't like, the lock was slow on 1/8" cable, too much drag/resistance. I've trapped for a while, but still learning. Maybe a feller could add a wire "tie-off" on the top-end, so you could pull the line really snug. that may help? I'm trapping in the Potomac Highlands, about 300 (river) miles above DC. smile

#7723 - 07/26/06 02:22 AM Re: Drowning set/Slide-Wire, Question???
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Mn.
If your lock was slow, the hole was not large enough.I use the L drowner lock,no hang up ,and plenty of speed .
Tom Olson

#7724 - 07/26/06 02:33 AM Re: Drowning set/Slide-Wire, Question???
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
I bought a dozen adjustable cables from Hal and I like these. These are nice for spots that drop off deep. Deep spots like in rivers after beaver are great places for these, just run the excess till tight and no more standing on the drowning weight trying to stomp it deeper in the mud, or pushing on it with a spade trying to tighten up the cable.

#7725 - 07/26/06 12:57 PM Re: Drowning set/Slide-Wire, Question???
redsnow Online   content

I was using a Victor-type swivel/drown lock on my cable. I guess on 1/8" cable, a 1/4" hole would work better, maybe even bigger?
Dale, thanks for the PM, I understand how that would help keep the line snug. Just looked at Hal's adjustable rigs, only 12 feet long. Not sure exactly how his are made, but have a couple ideas. Mine were solid, and if they had even a little slack, they seemed to catch every leaf and stick going down the creek. frown

#7726 - 07/26/06 01:39 PM Re: Drowning set/Slide-Wire, Question???
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I use an old canid trap swivel as a lock. The hole is plenty big and it slides well.

#7727 - 07/26/06 01:41 PM Re: Drowning set/Slide-Wire, Question???
Mike Marchewka Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake,Illinois
Have a friend that used 14g on DEEP water beaver(quarry) for years...never had a problem. I tried 11 gauge then #9 wire...both worked but didn't like the extra time after making a catch. I went to a chain drowner system in the 90s and haven't looked back..yes its heavy but REUSABLE.
I see ads out now for chain drowner systems.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.