Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#7772 - 12/13/07 10:12 PM Winter Beaver Bite marks
Brian L Offline

Loc: Northern WI
Has anyone else seen winter beaver bitten up? The animals in question were all in 330's in runs. Any help

#7773 - 12/13/07 10:46 PM Re: Winter Beaver Bite marks
Sledgehammer Offline

Loc: Friend, Nebraska
Were they fresh bites or healed over? Usually in the late winter early spring, when love comes to town, they will get territorial with each other.

#7774 - 12/13/07 11:10 PM Re: Winter Beaver Bite marks
akhomesteader Offline

Loc: Susitna Valley, Alaska
I have but it is usually when an area is over crowed with them.

#7775 - 12/14/07 11:27 AM Re: Winter Beaver Bite marks
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Fasten your 330's so that the trapped beaver can get out of the run before it expires.Other beaver will bite a dead one

My 330/280's have 4-5 feet of ligth chain (and a swivel).This allows me to fasten the trap back away from the set locatin with out fussing around

#7776 - 12/15/07 04:54 PM Re: Winter Beaver Bite marks
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
I have very seldom ever seen biting by other beavers in winter. However muskrats, mink and otter will chew up a dead beaver under water especially around the face.

#7777 - 12/15/07 06:58 PM Re: Winter Beaver Bite marks
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
At my latitude, and below, where beaver are overpopulated they are bit up 12 months out of the year. The originator of this topic didn't respond as to what kind of "bites" he is experiencing. If the bites are in various stages of inflammation and/or healing, they are the results of fighting. But there is another kind of biting I've experienced, and it is what Ric alluded to. I have had a number of occasions when a beaver lying dead in shallow water has been bitten repeatedly by another beaver, so much so that it usually devalues the hide to zero. These "dead" bites as I call them are distinguishable by the absence of any bleeding, swelling or the like, since the bite occurs after the animal is dead. They are just holes lanced in the hide as if you'd cut them yourself when skinning the animal. Ordinarily if you let the trapped beaver get in deeper water and become submerged this doesn't happen. That being the reason for the extra chain Ric mentioned

Hal

#7778 - 12/16/07 12:23 PM Re: Winter Beaver Bite marks
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
We get the dead biting all the time here as well, but usually in the spring when beavers are the most territorial. I like to give at least 10' of slack with killing sets to let the beaver kick himself away from the set location into deeper water; this allows multiple kills per set as well.

However, even in areas of high population biting by another beaver under the ice is rare, in fact its been 7-8 years since the last incident.

Usually it is a semi-aquatic predator of some kind that is responsible.

#7779 - 12/16/07 02:45 PM Re: Winter Beaver Bite marks
Brian L Offline

Loc: Northern WI
I believe that these were "dead bites" as their was no blood or swelling. I am not to sure that the area is overcrowded with beaver this is the only beaver I have taken out of the area and he is very large 97#. As Ric said I went and added chain to all of my 330's to help get them out of the runs.

#7780 - 12/19/07 08:33 PM Re: Winter Beaver Bite marks
tommypaul Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I have caught 2 clearly adult beaver recently with half circle bites out of the tails. These were close to the end of the tails and appeared to be well healed. I have been curious as to origins with no explanations. The only other bites I have found have been in spring/summer when the snapping turtles have been active and these have been on the face and body.
I have had no winter beaver bitten even though populations have been strong.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.