Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7846 - 02/21/08 01:20 AM question about 330 under ice set (archive)
bhugo Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have been trapping beaver under the ice with 330's on a pole set. I use cottonwood for bait. Usually small sticks bundled together and wired to the pole under the trap jaws. A friend told me to wire small fresh branches to the trigger directly and not to the pole? Is this a good idea? I have had success my way, but have had a few snapped traps with nothing in it. I was going to try his idea unless there is something wrong with it.

Thanks,
Brian

(Edit: Title edited to reflect topic. Noted for archiving. -- Hal)

#7847 - 02/21/08 01:45 AM Re: question about 330 under ice set (archive)
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Mn.
When using baited under ice 330s,I take a small bundle of poplar and slide it onto the trigger.I do not use a pole,I hang them under the ice.
Tom Olson

#7848 - 02/21/08 08:16 PM Re: question about 330 under ice set (archive)
bhugo Offline

Loc: Michigan
Thanks,

When you hang them, are they hanging by 1 spring with the chain wired to the log on top of the ice? Is that a better way to use the 330 under the ice, or just faster?

Brian

#7849 - 02/21/08 09:19 PM Re: question about 330 under ice set (archive)
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Tom: If you'll explain that in detail, I'll archive this thread. Thanks. -- Hal

#7850 - 02/21/08 10:26 PM Re: question about 330 under ice set (archive)
cohunt Offline

Loc: south dakota USA
My experience hanging a 330 size trap without a pole is that you use a cable all the way through the ice to your anchor on top of the ice. I have had head caught beaver that spin and twist a doubled #11 wire into a mess. A lighter wire could easily have broken. I prefer an approximately 1" green poplar stick(peel about 1-2 inches on center of stick) pinched between the non-dog-side jaws about 2" in from the edge of the jaws to a baited trigger. I have had less empty snaps with the bait in the jaws than with a baited trigger. One can also put the trap on a pole in country where dry straight poles are easy to come by. Slide the pole through both rings with the dog side against the pole and spread the springs apart to fix the trap at the depth you want. I prefer the trap about 2-3 feet below the ice.

#7851 - 02/22/08 05:08 PM Re: question about 330 under ice set (archive)
Bogmaster Offline

When hanging baited 330's,the first thing I do is bundle bait.In the areas I trap,popple(aspen) is one of the beavers preferred foods,so this is what I use.Your area may be different,so use what your beavers are feeding on.
I like to use the smaller ,or end branches of the popple,many will have buds on them.I cut them into 5"to6" pieces,and make a bundle about the size of a quarter,or a little bit larger.Each bundle is then wired together about 1 1/2 inches from each end(using light wire,decoy cord would also work).You may also want to scrape a bit of the bark off of a small area,thus adding a bit more eye appeal(The removal of a bit of bark,really shows up under the dark water).
The next step is to bend the trigger wires.I pull the trigger ends to within an inch of each other,and bend the ends to form a j.The bait bundle is then slid onto the trigger wires.(push the bundle up a ways,do not leave it right on the end.
I have taken a half dozen beaver from one trap, and not had to replace the bait.Though I like to have extra bait bundles with me.
The next step is to wire or cable your 330.If you use wire,use a heavy gauge .To be on the safe side,you may want to double your wire.Cable is stronger and may also be used,try 3/32" cable.If you use cable make sure to have adjustable end loops on the end that will be above the ice.
Your cable or wire is then attached to the spring eyes of your trap.Length of your attachments will depend on how thick your ice is,so you may want make them longer,so you can adjust them when setting.
I like to hang my baited traps,right off of the feed beds.Do not run your traps parallel to the feedbed,turn them so they are perpendicular to the feed bed.
You can vary your depths,but I like to have them fairly close to the bottom of the ice.One thing to consider,leave enough space between you trap and the bottom of the ice.You do not want any catch to come into contact with the ice.A beaver frozen to the underside of the ice ,will mean a lot more work for you.
On the top side of the ice,I place a pole several inches thick over the hole I have chopped.You can also use 2x 4s if you wish,just make sure that anything you use is strong and extends at least a foot past each side of your hole.Attach your wire or cable to your topside pole and lower your trap under the ice.You can wind the excess wire or cable around the top pole to set at the depth you want.
There are several ways to use bait under ice,this is one of the easiest ways I have found for me.
Tom Olson

#7852 - 02/22/08 05:33 PM Re: question about 330 under ice set (archive)
Leo Offline

Loc: Northwest Wisconsin
I also use Aspen-Popler also for bait. What I do is pre-cut some green pople about 1" diam and several inches long and then drill hole in center of stick, then I slide it over the trigger wire after I bend them together then bend the ends out to hold bait stick on. Not hard to do at home and set up 330 all ready to go. I do same as Bogmaster on securing the trap under the ice. But I then cover the ice hole with paper feed sacks or boughs then shovel snow on top of that so as to keep the hole dark and the beav off the ice and to prevent the ice from freezing so thick. Right now it has been around -15°f at night or more and high of 10°f in the day, I only have about 1"-2" of ice to chop on trap check day. But please pick up feed sack when done trapping and despose of it properly. Good Luck and give it a try
Leo

#7853 - 02/22/08 06:14 PM Re: question about 330 under ice set (archive)
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Tom: Do you use two cables, one for each spring eye, or one cable and thread it through both spring eyes?

quest -- Hal

#7854 - 02/22/08 06:54 PM Re: question about 330 under ice set (archive)
Bogmaster Offline

Hal,I have used one,but using two is a bit easier to adjust for the depth you want.
Tom Olson

#7855 - 02/22/08 06:58 PM Re: question about 330 under ice set (archive)
Bogmaster Offline

Leo,I actually think that by not covering over the set,beaver are attracted to it by the light coming in from the hole.But more chopping is required when checking.
Tom Olson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.