Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7931 - 06/04/03 10:16 PM Snaring Muskrats
JD_Renegade92O Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
I was wondeing, you never hear of anyone snaring muskrats, i was thinking it sounds to me like a good idea but is it??? Is there a godd reason not to or to do it. Just a question of curiosity.

#7932 - 06/05/03 02:28 AM Re: Snaring Muskrats
mountainman33 Offline

Loc: Central Maine
I'll take a shot at this one........I suppose that the reason most trappers choose not to use snares, is that the time-tested methods of using footholds and bodygrippers is just plain simpler,faster, and probably more effective. I suppose that a snare could be used in most any place a bodygripper could be, however, I think any dry land sets such as crossovers and some trails that you would end up with a messed up rat. I say that because I've seen how tangled they can get with light chain and wire, I think it would just cause much too much damage to the fur that it would hardly be worth it for a $2.50 rat. In the waterways, I say go for it if its legal. I believe a properly set snare in this situation would catch rats. A trapper could carry a lot of rat snares as opposed to 110's and footholds, but, I by no means would be trading in the steel for the cables, just way too many more sets that call for footholds and bodygrippers than for snares. Just my thoughts on the subject :-)

smile ...MM...

#7933 - 06/05/03 09:58 PM Re: Snaring Muskrats
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll follow MM3342's lead. I've never snared 'rats.

A 'rat is beaver shaped. I think you'd body catch them like a beaver. In a typical beaver spot all the local beaver are "family." They get along. Muskrats often don't get along. A live, snared 'rat might get the same toothmarks a live foothold trapped one does. However, I think the weight of the foothold makes drowning a 'rat much simplier so live 'rats are rare.

Lots of things eat 'rats so underwater is best. How can you easily/quickly do this with a snare?

I think MM3342 sums it up with his first sentence.

smile

#7934 - 06/05/03 11:40 PM Re: Snaring Muskrats
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
WRONG !!! Snaring rats is a good way to catch them.On dry land sets they EXCEL.I wholesale dozens upon dozens of "self supporting Mink/Muskrat snares to a WCT suppler. The WCT's nead them to catch muskrats on dry land.A muskrat will avoid a 110, and we all know what they do in a foothold on dry land.
I snare muskrats in fur season.Because they work! And with snares I catch more mink.Here in New Jersey we cant "own" a foothold let alone set one.I find alot of mink will avoid a 110.So the snare is the way to go.
Like mink snares you want swivels,the more the better on muskrat snares.I like 1/32" 1x19 stainless steel cable for both mink and muskrat snares.I will also say the I have NEAVER had any fur damage to a mink or muskrat in a snare.

#7935 - 06/06/03 12:23 AM Re: Snaring Muskrats
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for the first hand knowledge, Newt. It just goes to show that theory and fact often aren't the same! Now for a few questions: Are the 'rats body snared like a beaver? Are they ever caught by a limb/tail? Are they alive in the snare? Are bite marks from other muskrats or predation of the snared 'rats a problem?

With regard to the actual snares; how many swivels, what loop size, and how high off the ground.

Thanks alot.

BTW: With regard to your not being allowed to own footholds, I guess New Jersey is better at hockey than it is with trapping regulations. Too bad for Canada in the hockey... wink

#7936 - 06/06/03 12:33 AM Re: Snaring Muskrats
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
Newt
Are the rats dead when you catch them on dry land In snares? If they aren't would you have a lot hawks or owls tearing them up?Or for that matter fox and coon getting to them.

The Beav

#7937 - 06/06/03 02:28 AM Re: Snaring Muskrats
JD_Renegade92O Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
Thanks for all the input guys i think if i can im gunna use some snares and maybe conduct a test and get back to you guys.

#7938 - 06/06/03 04:27 AM Re: Snaring Muskrats
mountainman33 Offline

Loc: Central Maine
Looks like my theory on dry land snaring for rats is, as the Master Snaresman himself said, "WRONG" I have limited knowledge on dryland snaring (not legal on land here in Maine) Much thanks for the firsthand knowledge Newt.

...MM...

#7939 - 06/06/03 01:19 PM Re: Snaring Muskrats
Desert Trapper Offline

Loc: central arizona
In 1976 Raymond Thompson published a 19 page book called "The Snood System of Snaring." It was written by Raymond Thompson Jr. and a trapper from Delaware named Leonard Rollison. It describes a spring pole type snare that Rollison used to take thousands of muskrats on the Delaware coastal marshes. "Snood" is the local name for the spring pole snare. The snares were homemade using 19 or 20 gauge brass wire. The spring poles are 8 feet long and 1 1/2" in diameter, cut in the fall and used for only one season. Thompson was making a spring snare in the early 1950's and Rollison tested them but preferred his home made brass snare. If you are interested, you might write to Raymond Thompson and see if they still carry the book or the spring snares. Ray Thompson is deceased but someone still conducts business in the Thompson name.

#7940 - 06/06/03 01:38 PM Re: Snaring Muskrats
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
One moment please.

I don't see anything wrong with snaring muskrats. Newt has given a good description for anyone who would like to try. However, I'm going to be, devil's advocate here, and suggest that snaring is probably not the most efficient way to catch muskrats.

Newt has concentrated here on catching muskrats on dry land. The snare may be a good tool for that, but how many muskrats do you actually want (or need) to catch on dry land? Newt mentioned the avoidance problems with bodygrip traps, but frankly I can't see that as being a big problem. (Circle triggers will help that a lot.)

Also, please note that, as he has mentioned, Newt can't use foothold traps. Is necessity the mother of invention?

As I said, I see nothing wrong with snaring muskrats, if you want to, but I can't see this as an highly efficient or economical (cost of the snare) way to take muskrats.

smile -- Hal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.