Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8172 - 03/11/06 01:38 AM Hal and Cable Restraints
BillWI Offline

Loc: Bonduel,WI,US
Was just browsing through my Cable Restraint guide from the DNR here in WI. Noticed that Hal was listed as giving advice in the making up of our cable restraint guide. Was just wondering how much they listened to the people lsited like Tom Krause and others when they made up the regs.. I know that Hal has a great dislike to what we have right now. Hopefully after this winter more locks will be added to the current one.
Bill

#8173 - 03/11/06 01:53 AM Re: Hal and Cable Restraints
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
Billwi, Did you scroll down and read the tread "can you build me a better cable restraint." ? Probably not......

Something tells me your going to get a ear full !

Anyhow, Hang in there. Hopefully you and Pa. will get a few more locks, and cables, to play with next year.....

#8174 - 03/11/06 02:06 AM Re: Hal and Cable Restraints
BillWI Offline

Archer,
Yeah I read that thread and I guess what I'm saying is that even though input is given by people who are more experienced in cable restraints. A state will still do its own thing and then list these people as being instrumental in making of the mentioned regs..
From reading Hals posts over the years it seems a slap in the face to him and other people who are willing to give advice and knowledge to others.
As far as getting an ear full I'm a big boy. Hopefully Hal doesn't take this as a downgrade to him.
Bill

#8175 - 03/11/06 02:28 AM Re: Hal and Cable Restraints
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
I'm new at this cable quest stuff. But I see well.
The people sitting at the top
were too afraid to put there necks out. They took a safe back seat and voted on the safest possible restrictions. They worried more about thier jobs, than you and me that pay thier wages.....

#8176 - 03/11/06 03:21 PM Re: Hal and Cable Restraints
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Early on, I was asked if I would be involved in that. And I think they probably had a copy of the Ohio Snaring Guide which I compiled under the auspices of the Ohio State Trappers Association. But that's about as far as it went. Beyond that, I was never consulted about anything. I don't know if Tom was or not.

Some non-trappers, with the proper certificate of graduation, grabbed the ball had their own little circus, and when they were done, handed it to the trappers and yelled "Bring on the clowns!"

I'm embarrassed to have my name on that document.

frown -- Hal

#8177 - 03/12/06 03:50 AM Re: Hal and Cable Restraints
BillWI Offline

Hal thats what I kind of figured. We were given one option to try and use and we took it. Now after three years more options are being tried and after a year or two hopefully options will be expanded. We got a taste and even though most guys are doing well with what we have we would like the options that are allowed in other states. We've proven that cable restraints used properly are an effective and safe tool.
To bad that when people with the experience to make a difference are ignored. Well we all can't have a degree in wildlife biology. wink
Bill

#8178 - 03/12/06 04:31 AM Re: Hal and Cable Restraints
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
One thing Hal hasn't mentioned (that I have seen) is that when a State makes a proposal that doesn't make sense, you do have an option: don't accept any of it. That is what happened in Ohio. Initially, we were offered the use of snares with so many restrictions that accepting them would have labeled snares as more dangerous than 330s. Some wanted to take the "better than nothing" approach. Instead we turned down the use of snares. It took some additional time (unsure on how long), but it eventually led to the laws that we have had now for over 10 years. With the exception of some very minor changes in rules to clearify intent; those laws have remained the same, and have worked well for all of this time.

#8179 - 03/12/06 06:48 AM Re: Hal and Cable Restraints
snydboshawn Offline

Loc: NE OHIO
Mike Conrad, kinda reminds me of the passed concealed carry law in Ohio. Almost worthless. I never got mine because it is so ridiculous.

#8180 - 03/12/06 02:44 PM Re: Hal and Cable Restraints
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
Exactly, there is another situation that may have been better to walk away from until they came up with something better.

#8181 - 03/12/06 11:05 PM Re: Hal and Cable Restraints
Mike Marchewka Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake,Illinois
Hal, I'm glad you mentioned this as there are folks out there that BELIEVE you designed the cable restraint package.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.