Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8904 - 03/31/06 03:20 PM Half Modified Traps
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
A couple of weeks ago, at the Ohio FBU banquet, I threw a handful of tickets in the raffle box, and won a half dozen "modified" #1.65 Bridgers. The traps were outside laminated, four coiled, and base plated.

Well, I just now got around to tuning them up. Of course I nightlatched them. Then I attempted to level the pan. I can't. The outside laminations won't let me bend the cross frame in far enough to lower the pan. The eye of the dog hits against the lamination. I either have to grind out the center spot in the lamination, (which defeats the purpose of the lamination), or replace the dogs on all these traps.

This is just one more example of how modifications are often a package deal, and modifying one part of the trap often requires modification of another part of the trap.

Modification is not a game of "pick and choose".

frown -- Hal

#8905 - 03/31/06 04:51 PM Re: Half Modified Traps
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Yes, but the single most important improvement is the one you are complaining about. While I dont believe the trap needs to be 4 coiled and the base plate doesnt need strenghened, the laminations do however improve the trap in "damage control" . Replace the dog and dont look back, if ya dont wanna bother w/ it.....I will pay you new price for them. laugh

#8906 - 03/31/06 08:38 PM Re: Half Modified Traps
Hal Offline

The point was to illustrate that if you're going to modify traps, you need to look at the big picture.

Frankly, if you are going to laminate, then you probably should four coil because of the increased jaw weight, and the incresed amount of dirt the jaw picks up. And if you are going to 4 coil base plating is not a bad idea to keep the base from bending.

It's a package deal, like I said.

smile -- Hal

#8907 - 04/01/06 06:08 AM Re: Half Modified Traps
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
I thought that a trap being modified was like a woman being pregnant. Either you are or you aren't! There is no half.

Now if you're talking about "poorly modified" or "incompletely modified" I'm with you.

Don't forget about the chain and swivels. Once you're adding a baseplate you might as well upgrade the chain. Now that you're tinkering with the chain you might as well add a couple more swivels ...

Dogless traps have a groove on the inside lamination of one jaw. If the edges are smooth they seem to perform adequately. Couldn't you do the same with your 1.65's?

#8908 - 04/01/06 06:19 AM Re: Half Modified Traps
Hal Offline

I'll put new dogs on the traps.

smile -- Hal

#8909 - 04/01/06 06:25 AM Re: Half Modified Traps
Hal Offline

Musher: I donít think I have ever seen a dogless trap that was post-factory inside laminated. The way those traps work, the pan and jaw engagement is pretty well established once the trap is manufactured. Adding an inside lamination would mean extensive re-engineering of the pan/notch.

Am I missing something?

quest -- Hal

#8910 - 04/01/06 06:50 AM Re: Half Modified Traps
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
yep, I did it to some montanas to make them legal w/out the offset.

Just cut the lamination in half on the jaw that fits onto the notch and leave a small space.

no reworking of the notch needed

#8911 - 04/01/06 10:22 AM Re: Half Modified Traps
musher Offline

What Buzz said. smile

#8912 - 04/02/06 02:21 PM Re: Half Modified Traps
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
I wonder; how much grinding would have been required? If a "slow" shallow dip was relieved to accommodate the dog, do you think the value of the offset would have been lost?

#8913 - 04/02/06 04:28 PM Re: Half Modified Traps
musher Offline

WQ: There is no grinding. The inside lamination is in two pieces. There is no dog on a Montana. It's a one piece trigger. There is a little gap where the trigger hooks on the jaw.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.