Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#9821 - 12/04/00 05:34 PM lured snares
coon trapper Offline

Loc: PA
Does anyone know away to lure a snare so the aminals will pass through it to get to the lure?

#9822 - 12/04/00 10:28 PM Re: lured snares
Jack Turner Offline

Loc: Harrison, Ohio
Raccoon Trapper,

While I'm sure some have done this and had success, generally you do not want lure near or on your snares. This could cause the animal to slow down or stop it's natural travel pace. You want to set your snares in established trails. When the animal uses these trails over and over they usually do not get skitish. Applying lure, as I stated, could cause them to change it's normal travel pace and could actually take them off the trail. Beaver trappers will sometimes use lure at a specific point beyond the snare, but here the snare is in water, not on land.

#9823 - 12/08/00 05:26 AM Re: lured snares
Swampmaster Offline

Loc: Benton, Louisiana, USA
I agree with Jack that you don't want lure on or near your snare. I use snares where trails naturally narrow down. Other good locations are on logs crossing creeks, and on beaver dams. Land animals use these to cross the creek and you can take a lot of fur at these locations. I have taken coon, coyote, fox, and especially bobcats at such locations.

#21157 - 12/12/14 04:38 PM Re: lured snares [Re: coon trapper]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.