Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#9844 - 08/14/06 01:49 PM 4 coiling traps -- loose jaw too high
graywolf572 Offline

Loc: central pa.
has anyone done this.i did a few and the loose jaw dose not lay flat or level with the pan.any idea's as how too correct this???????

#9845 - 08/14/06 03:54 PM Re: 4 coiling traps -- loose jaw too high
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Look at this example:

1. A trap with the jaws laid flat

2. A trap with an elevated loose jaw.

3. The trick is to just bed the trap at a little bit of an angle. You want the pan area of the trap to be the lowest point anyway, so the little bit of "valley" formed by the jaws really doesn?t hurt anything.

smile -- Hal

#9846 - 08/14/06 10:55 PM Re: 4 coiling traps -- loose jaw too high
Cannon Ball Offline

Loc: Washington NC
I have read articles and other writings by well known trappers telling that the loose jaw not laying flat would not " hurt anything ". I have never liked the loose jaw not laying flat and it has been one of those things that I just live with. Until now I have never seen or heard of your explanation of why you should bed the trap with a slight angle to create a "valley" between the jaws.

A great tip that I appreciate very much. Thanks

#9847 - 08/15/06 08:59 AM Re: 4 coiling traps -- loose jaw too high
graywolf572 Offline

Loc: central pa.
thank's hal.it seem's the loose jaw is a little tighter.with 4 spring's on the trap.and i agree with u statement about the low spot.make's alot of sense.thank you again.

#9848 - 08/18/06 08:34 AM Re: 4 coiling traps -- loose jaw too high
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
Some traps simply wont lay flat, so you have no choice but to put them on an angle.

In fact, I dont worry too much about adjusting any of my traps so the pan is level. I just put them at an angle of about 5 degrees and presto, you have a perfect set.
Mike

#25457 - 10/25/17 01:33 PM Re: 4 coiling traps -- loose jaw too high [Re: graywolf572]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.