Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#26040 - 06/17/18 08:26 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV

#26042 - 06/17/18 01:48 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Reckon those bears are eating many of your fawns?

#26043 - 06/17/18 06:45 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: Hal]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Originally Posted By: Hal
Reckon those bears are eating many of your fawns?

Every one they find, as well as any beaver out of the water

#26044 - 06/18/18 06:41 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Yes, I agree that bear kill quite a few fawns. And I'm sure that the coyotes and bobcats are hunting them pretty hard now too.

I did see my first fawn yesterday, it was about the size of a house cat, just a little bit taller. It wasn't very steady on it's feet.

The mailman and the guys on the trash truck first reported seeing fawns about 3 weeks ago. So give or take, around the 1'st of June.

We've had some wet weather, folks around here are just now starting to make hay. Talked to a man that started cutting hay last Friday. Nobody likes to talk about stuff like this, and I would have never asked if we weren't good friends. I'm not sure how many acres he mowed off, but 5 fawns got caught in his mower. Those guys have some big equipment, and he told me that he was running 8 or 9 MPH. He didn't see a single fawn, just felt it when they hit the rollers.

Just one of those things, there's nothing you can do. You've gotta make hay when the sun shines.

#26045 - 06/21/18 06:43 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I'm still getting reports from the folks making hay.

Above where I said "Those guys have some big equipment", the man is running a 150 horsepower 4-wheel-drive tractor, pulling a disc-bine that's 13 feet, 6 inches wide. Without getting my calculator, running at 8 or 9 MPH, he can mow an acre of hay in a matter of minutes. In my opinion, those guys are the most efficient farmers in this area.

Talked to a man working another river bottom farm, he said he was right on average (fawn count), compared to past years.

Talked to another bunch working a farm at the base of the mountain, they've not found a single fawn. So they are below average.

Running short on time this morning, wanted to add that there was an adult doe picked up on June, 16th with 2 unborn fawns.

But the majority of fawns should have been born.

But these guys make hay, year after year, on the same property, so that should be a pretty good indication of what's going on. I do the same with fox, coon and rabbits. Coyotes and all.

I will add this, for anyone not familiar with making hay. An adult deer standing in a hay field, here in late June, the only thing that you can see above the grass would be their head and maybe part of their neck. A fawn, ten pounds or so, you just can't see the little turd.

I'm familiar with these farms, there's a little bit more to the story, and I'll be getting more reports.

I'll check cameras, 2, 3 and 4 maybe this weekend. Hopefully we'll have something interesting.

Edited by redsnow (06/21/18 09:52 AM)
Edit Reason: Added.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.