Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#27787 - 09/15/20 06:47 AM Wing Shooting skills.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
We have folks on the forum that hunt ducks and geese and doves and all. I was out the other morning and found this batch of Canada geese, about 75 head. Our goose season won't open again until October 1st.

But I wanted to tell you about a young man's first time dove hunting. I'll add that story later.

#27788 - 09/16/20 06:40 AM Re: Wing Shooting skills. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Morning dove season opened here on September 1st. My buddy DJ. stopped by, he was dressed in black and dark green camo, long sleeve shirt and all. It was warm out, up in the 80's or above? Anyway, DJ is a young guy about 22 or so. He told me that he was going dove hunting with 6 or 8 of his friends. He told me where they were going and all, and said that it'd be his very first time. As he was leaving I wished him good luck and said: You boys be careful.

I talked to DJ the next day and the conversation went like this: I asked Well, you'd you do? We got Fifty. That's very good, how many did you get? Two. Well, how many shots did you fire? Seventy. Dang!

DJ and I talked and about the best advice I could give him is what an old man told me years ago. "If you're missing your bird, double your lead".

I'll give you details in a little bit.

#27790 - 09/16/20 11:03 AM Re: Wing Shooting skills. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I believe a lot of wing shooting is muscle memory. Prior to the season, I spend a few minutes each day swinging the shotgun in the yard at imaginary targets.

Shotgun fit is also crucial. Attaching a large diameter straw, with that sticky blue poster adhesive, to the barrel of the shotgun and then sighting through it is a good thing. When you shoulder the gun, you should see through the straw. If not, it needs adjustment.

When you shoulder the gun, with your eyes closed, you should see through the straw when you open your eyes.

Goose season has been open for a week and a half here. I have been out 4 times for short hunts and things are quieter than I have ever seen. Duck season opens Saturday.

#27791 - 09/16/20 06:44 PM Re: Wing Shooting skills. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Guys, DJ is a tall and skinny built type of young man. He told me that he was hunting with a Mossberg 835 Ultra Mag, 3.5 inch 12 gauge, with a 28 inch barrel. Shooting 2 3/4", number 7 1/2 shot, and I'm sure the cheapest ammo that he could find. If you've never handled an 835 Ultra Mag, it's a big and heavy gun.

I didn't ask DJ what choke tube he was using, so not sure? But cheap ammo is cheap for a reason. One thing that I'm thinking about, with him missing his birds so consistently, he probably wasn't leading them at all. I'm not sure exactly how fast a dove can fly, but they are a small target. And they can dart and veer around very quickly.

DJ will do better the next time he's out shooting. But you've got to figure, when you're shooting 1 for 35, there's a lot of room for improvement.

You know, everyone would be a better wingshooter if we'd have little bit more velocity and another 1/8 ounce of shot. Premium ammo makes a big difference.
If they made a shotgun that would blast out a load of shot at the velocity of a 22-250, and give us a 30 inch pattern at 40 yards. Nobody would ever miss. But, there's no such thing.

My buddy Moe is a very good wing shot and there for a while we'd go out at every chance and crow call, during the off season. We went together and bought crow decoys, we both have electronic calls, mouth calls and all. Helping out my landowners by eliminating a varmint. Sometimes things can get very intense and exciting.

But, it boils down to knowing your gun and your effective range with the ammo you're using.

I apologize for making that "little bit" last all day. I'm at work.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.