Ramps are not native to this area, I'm in Hardy Co. Folks around here go to Grant, Tucker and Pendleton Co. to dig ramps.

Two years ago I planted ramps at 2 different spots, they came up last spring and again this year. I'm not sure, but I was told that it'll take 3, 4 or 5 years before they start to spread.

My buddy Moe and his wife are crazy about the things. Susan is a fancy cook, she'll fix ramps with about everything you can think of, for the next month or so. And they freeze a bunch. Moe puts them in his deer bologna. Susan makes a ramp sauce, and a ramp relish (almost like a sweet pickle relish) that's really good on any kind of meat.

Moe gave me 4 pounds of ramps the other week, I planted them all. I started 2 different spots up on the side of the mountain, and 2 more spots out on the farm. I think he cleaned up about 2 bushel, I had him save me the rootballs, I planted them too. I guess they'll grow?

I was told to plant them on the north side of the ridges, that's where I put them. Probably should have been planting ginseng up on the mountain, that's some good dirt up there.