Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
#14089 - 10/31/06 08:50 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
WayneAmerica Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Hal, no and no... I'll just listen!

#14090 - 10/31/06 10:44 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
What is the best method of dispach of an animal for me is not necessarily for you. The "best" method is the one most appropriate for you and your circumstances.
Having said that, it is apparent that there is some legislature and guidelines on this in most localities.

The use of non-standard methods of killing trapped animals should not be condoned just because they are "non-standard" per se.
But lets not lose sight of the realities of today where we should be encouraging best-practice among trappers and discouraging methods which could be considered not in the best interests of trapping.
It is interesting that with over 100 posts on this subject there are few that specifically say that the injection of acetone is the best method they have used.
Mike

#14091 - 10/31/06 11:21 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Time to refocus.

First, we are not advocating this as a primary means of dispatch. In fact, this is very narrowly focused on skunks. I believe we can find a large body of knowledgeable opinion, that this method of poking an animal with a needle does not work reliably on animals other than skunks. The bottom line being skunks are very docile. So we are not advocating injection for animals like coons and coyotes.

And so far nobody has said they have a better method for skunks. I shoot skunks. But I'm not going to tell you that is better than injecting them, because I don't know. I've never tried it -- but I might.

Tell me why I shouldn't -- or why I should.

smile -- Hal

#14092 - 11/01/06 02:35 AM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Hal: on 10-27, 10:25am, you reminded us that the topic was the use of the non-standard chemical acetone for use as lethal injection. With so many responses from trappers using this chemical, when should acetone lose the non-standard moniker? Frank. confused

#14093 - 11/01/06 08:39 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
While it is second hand, I do have some negative feedback on acetone.

A friend from Tn was called to the courthouse yesterday to deal w/ a skunk in the electric room of the building. The skunk was in a corner and a 12 cc shot was administered into the chest cavity........the skunk did not go down, a second 12 cc shot was given again w/ perfect placement and again the skunk did not go down.

The skunk acessed the room thru a long 4 inch culvert or pipe and quickly retreated to the pipe after the second shot. This man has done this many times and told me more than adequite time was had before the skunk left for parts unknown.

Second hand I know but this is the first I have heard of anything negative as well as the person in Tennessee.

#14094 - 11/01/06 10:32 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
downwind ken Offline

Loc: Athens, Ohio
The main drawback of useing a skunk stick is carrying the pole with you..I run most of my traps on foot so my stick usually stays in the truck until needed..Where I'm at now,we don't usually get into skunks very often so I'm only useing the stick while removeing a ADC catch..
I've tried all kinds of .22 shells(cb,shorts,short hp and up)and very rarelly was able to dispact one without spraying..Didn't seem to matter where thay were shot(head,chest,lungs,or back bone)thay almost always sprayed..While useing the dispach stick,thay very rarelly spray(maybe2-3 out of 100 or so?)..To me, that is the best reason to use this methed..Plus my loveing wife has already told me in great detail what she's going to do if I get her house smelling like a skunk!!..LOL..

#25481 - 10/25/17 06:45 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection [Re: Hal]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.