Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#14029 - 10/25/06 08:10 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I will jump on the wagon here also.......sorry

Joe Mott of NYS cage traps alot of skunks and uses acetone, he says it works perfect and quick.

10 cc's right into the lung cavity.

#14030 - 10/25/06 08:24 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I would actually like to know more of the particulars of the person who got "arrested" for doing this. Frankly, I'm a little skeptical. Did this really happen?

confused -- Hal

#14031 - 10/25/06 08:30 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hal,

that is a good question......I will ask

#14032 - 10/25/06 08:30 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Teal Fyksen Offline

Loc: Wausau, WI
I have injected many skunks with acetone as a method of dispatch. I have always used a 20cc syringe, 1 1/2in - 2in needle (18ga) and injected the acetone directly into the lungs It has always proven to be a fast/humane method of euthanizing skunks, they die with in 15-20 seconds. My experience with this method is only limited to skunks. I use other methods for different species, usually a .22 short in the ear.
There are a number of humane methods of dispatch, IMO. Like anything the individual is responsible for becoming practiced and proficient with such techniques.

Teal

#14033 - 10/25/06 08:34 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
As for my obtaining Ketamine , I am 100 percent legally alloud to have it in possesion and to use it.

I also have taken a coarse and I am 100% legal and also have to keep records, very accurate records.

I will be at a meeting Fri. night with about 40 local vets. I will pick the brains of handfull and see what they have to say about acetone.
Anyone ever looked at the lungs after injecting with acetone??

#14034 - 10/25/06 08:45 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Offline

What happens if you "miss" the lungs?

quest -- Hal

#14035 - 10/25/06 08:56 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Teal Fyksen Offline

Hal,

That is a very valid question and the truth is I don't know if I ever have missed the lungs. There have been times when I have felt the needle hitting a rib and had to pull it out and re-stick. But anytime I have completed the the injection the skunk has expired in an expedient manner. I have used this method over the years on 100+ skunks.

#14036 - 10/25/06 09:01 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Teal Fyksen Offline

Upon reading my response I realize I didn't really answer the question. So to answer it: Hal, I do not know what would happen if one would miss the lungs.

#14037 - 10/25/06 09:02 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Offline

Then, are you certain you are injecting this into the lungs proper, and not just into the chest cavity?

quest -- Hal

#14038 - 10/25/06 11:14 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
downwind ken Offline

Loc: Athens, Ohio
When I was first getting into doing adc here I needed a couple of syringes..I have a vet right down the road from me,so I went and bought a couple off him..While I was there we were talking about ADC work so I asked him if there was anything better to use than the acetone that I had been useing..He told me at that time that was probly the best "over the counter" thing to use..I have only used it on skunks..I use it the same way Teal Fyksen does..I always seem to end up with a faceing type situation, so normally I'm getting them in the chest area..Always try for a heart "shot",but doesn't seem to make much of a differance,same amount of time to expire..This is about the only way I know of that you can kill a skunk in an urban area without it spraying,and when I explane to people what I'm doing to keep the skunk from spraying,thay are all for it..
now for head shots..what about rabies?

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.